Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cb450k5 I have been working on for about a year. I put about a thousand miles on it and the clutch started slipping in fifth gear rolling on the throttle. I replace the fiber plates and oil and it is much better but still slips slightly when accelerating. The plates did not look that bad but the inside metal plate looked kinda warn. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Did you "mike" the friction and steel plates?....Were they within spec?....

·
Registered
6 Posts
did you adjust the cluch arm/rod free play on the left side of the engine @ the sprocket cover?

even if the cable and lever are properly slacked, if the adjuster for the pushrod isn't set right it will keep the clutch plates from getting full pressure, causing slipping.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There seems to be enough free play in the cable and the clutch seems fine otherwise. Shifts better then ever no clunking or stalling smooth just slips in fifth when adding power. I did not mic the metal plates but the first one with the bevel on the back seems like it is wearing, I didn't even know there were two different types of metal plates until I took it apart. Clutch springs are good. I adjusted the clutch from the point where the bike would stall when put in gear, so I am pretty sure it is good and now it goes in gear and doesn't stall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
cable slack is is a different adjustment than the actuator and rod free play.
you can have all the slack in the world on the cable and still have too much tension on the actuator/rod.

If the adjuster and rod doesn't have slack, it is keeping a little bit of pressure on the springs so the clutch will work and allow you to shift fine but it will prevent the springs from working and keeping it from slipping under higher loads, which i what you are experiencing.

review the manual and I believe it will show you how to adjust it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
how did you measure the springs, the manual shows two measurements, one free length spec and one under a weight my springs were at the short end of the free length spec, and new ones made a big deference, mine slipped in 3rd gear up. you may try slipping a washer between the spring and cap screw to bump up the spring preload, if this helps your springs are likely weak. if it makes no difference you probably have a warped steel disk.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I adjusted the clutch from the side cover and fine tuned from the cable and still the same thing. I didn't measure the springs or the plates. The plates all looked good except the first one(clutch plate a). I did not realize it had a different inside plate. It looked like it was worn on the beveled side only. I have no problem taking it apart again. Do you think I can do it without draining the oil if I do it on the side stand?

·
Registered
363 Posts
if you don't mind the oil draining out of the cover :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Joe, I have a CL450 that I have rebuilt, and it recently started experiencing the same issues as your bike. Did you ever find out what the true issue was? If so, how did you resolve it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts