Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a head I bought for parts that has an excellent exhaust camshaft that I would like to use for another engine. Some knot head broke two teeth off! I don't know how. The amount of chain that wraps around the sprocket leads me to believe that it could potentially run forever with two teeth missing with no issue assuming I knock down the sharp edges. Also wondering if anyone has replaced the press-fit sprocket on these before? Is there anyone out there that could do this for me?

20190330_122105.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I wouldn't run it that way for one minute. MegaCycle might be able to do that for you, they've worked on 450 cams for over 40 years

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Cheapest way is to get another cam, you can swap the sprocket onto yours if your lobes/bearing journals are in better shape.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I know when timing chain broke on the freeway, I could hear the chain throw itself agains the bottom of the engine as I went on to bend valves. I had crimped the master link too tight losing flexibility of the link.

The last engine I took apart, the master link wasn't where I wanted it to be so I took a link that was available and used the Common Motor Collectives tool to push two pins out and on reassembly, reused the same link and no new link. I think the friction of the old link will be enough to keep it in place, just as extending a drive chain. This is off topic other than related to the cam sprocket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts