Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago while being incredibly stupid I took off the right exhaust cam chain cover and quickly put it back on. No harm done, timing remained in tact and the bike is running great. Thing is, I damaged the gasket pulling it off and have ordered a replacement one. I am hesitant to tempt fate twice, so I'm wondering what the best way would be to ensure the chain doesn't move when replacing the gasket. TDC on the right side? Tactical screwdriver to prevent it from moving?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I'm having difficulty understanding what you meant by "right exhaust cam chain cover"
Did you mean the tach drive cover? Part 4 in this diagram

Or is it part 3?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
If you take off the exhaust valve cover and turn the engine over until both exhaust valves are closed, you can safely remove the tach side cam cover without worry about the cam timing changing (as long as you don't turn the engine while the cover is off). Basically, you got lucky the first time in that you didn't have to force the cam cover back on (I assume that is true, since you didn't say anything about it)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dammit, I can't get the cover back on. I made sure both exhaust valves were closed, cleaned off the gasket that was in there, put on the new one, aligned the tabs but it still won't close all the way. Can't figure out what is keeping it from going on!

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Pics of what all you removed would help.
Did you remove the tach drive assembly with the gear shaft/pinion (part 3) still attached? If not maybe the pinion isn't aligned with the tach gear (part 4)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Also often times it's a lot easier to spot a problem when you show us pictures of what you're seeing. So try to make it a habit to take plenty of pics while working on your bike to use for reference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll remember that for the future. Anyway, cover is back on and bike is running, it was the valve adjustment screw that was in the way, not the tach drive notches. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts