Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've decided i needed a challenge in life, so I went and bought one! :mrgreen:
Guessing I'll have a heap of questions, hope there are some 450 fans here.
Not much to work with at this stage....
Engine and frame are 10 apart, so i guess they're "matching" appears it was a '72 model

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Welcome aboard Zeek. No honda engine frame/motors match exactly ...10 outs pretty good. You should get in touch with 'mad uncle' he's just over the water in Mel ,and knows his way around the 450's have a look at Drifters farm bike rescue his 350 had the same rust but more red dust

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Simo. I've found the farm bike thread...just need time to read it all.
A few questions:
Should the tank look like this on the underside? looks like it's been opened up at some stage.

Going to be interesting to see what's under the Silicone?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
That's quite a project you've taken on.

And my K5 tank does NOT have those welds across the bottom, although the weird folds in the metal match mine.

The reason for the silicone can't be a good one.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, at first glance there doesn't appear to be any obvious cracks behind the Silicone from the inside? Strange that it's on both sides as well....will have a look tomorrow.
I presume if I cook the cylinders in an oven the liners would drop out?

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Tank looks like an older model, maybe from 69-71. I have one I guess I could flip over and check for the 2 welds. You can tell its earlier than 72 because is missing the chrome trim holding barbs and rim.

Liners should fall out with a good baking yes. That one looks like a good candidate for the BBQ grill. :D

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Nothing like another CB450 project. Looks like a K5 to me. I'm putting my engine back together this week. Mine was not as bad as yours, but my frame had a lot of rust on it too. I'm hoping to have the engine back in by July 4th. I think it is a great way to celebrate our independence from the British. :eek:

·
Registered
117 Posts
You can boil it in lemon juice/water mix and that will clean it up and let the sleeves fall out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got a few different styles on Kamikazecafe.com

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems the cylinders may be junk!
Found the reason for the Silicone...
Cam chain has eaten through the tunnel.:mad:
Suppose this could be welded from the inside but possibly won't be worth fixing.
Cam tunnel damage2.JPG

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Took a bunch of bits off to the blasters, should have 'em back in a couple of days, clean and primer'd...then the fun starts.

Found this on Benjies cafe site today...not sure I'm game to ask how much. :shock: Jeez it would look nice though.
c_sprintersstrap2.jpg

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if you need new cylinders here are mine on ebay. at a good price

Honda CB450 CL450 Engine Cylinders Stock Parts | eBay
Price is good! Shipping not so good. :p
Hopefully the guy I bought this off is having a rummage around his pile of stuff as we write this...

On another note:
Can anyone tell me which cam covers my motor should have? CB450E-5026***
There seems to different breather tube arrangements?

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Any cam cover will work from the dual outlet from the early engines to single outlet from the major part of the run. The finned covers from the 500t's will fit as well.

Yours should have the single outlet.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts