Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hails to the community! I'm new here; first post and I've been enjoying trolling the tech and casual threads on here. It's always ncie to run into a fan base community.

I did a search for "buying tips" "what to look for" etc. and didn't turn up anything. But, I'm heading out this week to look at a ~5k original mile 1972 CB450. The guy tells me the chrome isn't even pitted and he thinks the front tire is original. It was garage kept and un-ridden for 30 years. He's put ~20 miles on recently and didn't notice any problems. Anyway, any tips for what to look for on this beast would be greatly appreciated (especially motor-wise)....thanks!

Motor/Gene

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
If he has drained the old gas out and started it up on new gas and it is running, stoppiing, and all the lights are working then just the cosmetics need to be looked at. Check the air filters to make sure they are in there. Check the tire pressure before you test ride it. Check the oil for level and cleanliness before you test ride it. Before you take it home check the serial number with the title. I got a Yamaha XS650 home once that I was the second owner of and hadnt checked the numbers, found out that back in 1976 the dealer made a typographical error.
Good luck, you will love that bike.
What color is it?
You will make me jealous if you tell me it is red.
Don

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, I bought the sucker. 1972 with 3980 original miles and it looks it. Chrome is nice but I've seen rounder pancakes than these tires. It's definitely been sitting. The brakes are mush and it wouldn't trust 30 year old pads anyway. The motor will come off over the winter for a polishing job! It was originally red. They painted it a dark metallic green, for some reason. Sad it was repainted. It's a tremendous candidate for resto.

engine purs nice. He shined it, swapped fluids and plugs & wires last year. A little cold blooded but doesn't need much choke to start, but needs to warm up to idle well.

I'll get some pics up!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pics!

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac46/Genefav/CB450/

Th guy was pretty cool. He used to bracket race Hondas in the 70s. He's retired now and putzes with bikes (mostly SOHC CB750s) over the winter. He got this CB450 off a friend. This other guy had lent $$$ to his brother to originally buy this bike. He told him that he had X time to pay him back or he's taking the bike....well, he took the bike. This guy didn't ride so that's why the mileage is so low. It's been sitting since the mid to late 70s.

So the paint has been changed, the guy jury rigged some taller bars onto it. The wiring was cut at the bars. There's 5 pounds of electric tape between the stem and controls to hide his 'custom' wiring. Chrome looks good. Only micro pitting and there is some hairline cracking near the engine end of the exhaust, at the sharpest curves.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
That is a real bargain bike. Green, envy, what!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts