Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just starting my resto and looking for advice on removing paint from the prior owner. My plan was to use paint remover but I'm not sure if I should just leave it alone? I am going original so I'm thinking the paint should go. Has anyone done this at home? Vapor soda blast is costly and I didn't want to disassemble the motor. It's a great running motor with 10k on it. Thanks in advance paul.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I'd be tempted to leave it. If it was painted black I'd strip it. I'd use a strong aresol stripper with some brushes and a rinse with a garden hose while keeping it sealed up good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I go stripping it might just be real dull and ugly I'm thinking. My plan was to swap the polished covers from my parts bike in the background and do a real good cleaning. More pictures coming and thanks for your input.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'd be tempted to leave it too... this is my CL450..
Motor vehicle Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice!

·
Registered
635 Posts
It's all in the preparation; I stripped blasted and prepared all the surfaces. That's difficult to do if the engine is in one piece. I used Simonize engine Aluminium enamel; and it was very easy to apply. The poster asked if he should strip the paint without disassembly, my advice FWIW; is if you don't want to strip the engine; leave it; but from the pictures there is overspray on the carb stubs; and it just don't look right. It's your bike; your choice.
Nigel.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If i was doing a restoration on a bike I would take the motor apart clean it ,strip it and paint it. New gaskets and seals and replace all the exterior screws and bolts with the striped and damaged heads. Last one I did I used 2002 ford truck silver paint with High temp clear over it and it looked fantastic.

Just a thought.

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.