Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
cheap. but no title - still, if it's running . . . wussup w/that seat tho?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks pretty complete other than the seat which can be shaved down and reupholstered.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Seat.... i would be more worried about the "runs, but the engine makes noise"...
If shipping cross country wasn't so expensive I would consider taking a deeper look.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The “engine makes a noise” thing gave me pause too. Is it a vroom noise? I’d like that :D more than say, a SKRRRRRREEEEEEEEE noise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah I saw this one for sale. I think the ''engine noise'' could just be valve timing - lol, that should be fresh in your mind given the recent discussion on valve adjustments on the 450!

With no title you can still register them, you just can't sell it. I've heard a lost title takes three years? There is also the "Vermont loophole" which is a few hundred dollars and two months or so.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yeah I saw this one for sale. I think the ''engine noise'' could just be valve timing - lol, that should be fresh in your mind given the recent discussion on valve adjustments on the 450!

With no title you can still register them, you just can't sell it. I've heard a lost title takes three years? There is also the "Vermont loophole" which is a few hundred dollars and two months or so.
In NY no title or transferable registration, you cannot register it. From where I sit, no title or transferable registration, it's just parts.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
$900 is a lot of money for parts. " The bike has no title but a state patrol inspection can take care of that." So why didn't he do that already?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
In Washington it can be registered and that registration is transferable. The fact that the engine makes noise is not a deal breaker. It is better that it can make noise than not be able to make noise. :eek:

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hell... CB450/500T engines are noisy beasts by nature. Unless the noise is from the bottom end I wouldn't worry much about it.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Laws in Ga. have changed with older vehicles.. no title, no problem.. as long as you have a bill of sale (notarized) and gets the vin# checked .... this can be done prior to purchase.. it's a way to protect the buyer..
The vin# is run through NCIC/GCIC (national and state database) makes sure it is not stolen..
It's kinda "odd" not having a title.. but in the past it was the only real way to ensure the buyer the vehicle was "clear" ... now its all in a data base..
It does make it hard to convince a out of state buyer that Georgia won't issue a Title, if it is old and coming out of state..
The new "Regeatration" is basically the new "title".. and if there is "back taxes" on the regestration that need to be paid, the state will want their money before they register it..
And if it is stolen.. you will find out immediately...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went to check it out today. Good seller - he was honest upfront: the engine noise is coming from the bottom end. At half the price it might make a good parts bike, but I don't need any MORE parts for my 450 :D

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Does the noise vary with engine speed? More on one side than the other? It might need a new crank. A good used one can be had for around $200.

·
Registered
554 Posts
So on a spree of (questionable? Remains to be seen ;) ) decision making, I sold my 750 to a buddy, then flipped that into buying this bike - we settled for $700, so I’ll probably use the extra to get ahold of a good used crank (anyone? :) ). I’m more partial to two cylinders, and my 360 is near the finish line, so I thought it’d make for something fun to tinker on until the CB77 gets here.

So the good:
-The exhausts are in incredible shape, along with the gauges. The paint and rest of the chrome is in good- to very good shape, in need of a little cleaning and polishing.
-The seat is goofy, but it actually does look like the original pan. Gonna see if I can have someone shave it down and reupholster it; for some reason I’m thinking brown or tan leather on that green, but yell at me if that’s an awful idea :D

The bad:
-No title. Ah well. I’m familiar with the no title route in Washington, not anticipating any issues (more than those monsters at the DMV give usually, anyways...sorry, still bitter from a couple weeks ago :rolleyes: ).
-I haven’t started it, but the report is lower end engine noise. I’m going to split the case later this week and see what’s up - any tips or tricks or things to watch out for?

Honestly, for once in my life I’m gonna leave it alone! I solemnly swear I’m not gonna go crazy on this one, I swear... just a little engine paint while it’s apart, and rideable by summer. Dearest mods, can I turn this into a build thread?

Here she is on her way home:
56AED105-2051-4406-A403-F772B9CDEF82.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Nice color, ugly seat but might be very comfortable.

20160514_174458.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
That seat looks like a Corbin, pretty popular for a while instead of the old-school "king and queen" style. I'd start it before tearing it down so you can get a better idea of the noise and what to look for. Check the oil for fuel contamination, maybe change it if you have some cheap oil you can waste, and then listen to the bottom end with a screwdriver as a stethoscope. If it sounds like a big bearing growling, it's probably the right end crank bearing... the 5 speeds were known for it to some degree over the years. Still, the rest of the bike would make it worth looking for a used crank or complete engine

·
Registered
554 Posts
Will do - I grabbed some cheapo oil to throw in there for that exercise. I'm not trying to throw a bunch of money at it where it doesn't need it, but I do this more for fun than profit, so $100 for a used crank on ebay isn't a dealbreaker or anything :D I'm assuming it makes more sense to snag a used one than trying to swap the damaged bearing, if that's the case? Also not at all afraid of engine rebuilds - I've seen the nether regions of my poor 360 more times than I'd like to admit, and I'll tell ya...I still like that more than electrical work :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm assuming it makes more sense to snag a used one than trying to swap the damaged bearing, if that's the case?
The bearing surface on the end of the crank is part of the crankshaft itself - not like a bearing slipped or pressed onto the end of the shaft. Rollers in a cage ride on the machined surface of the shaft behind the splines for the primary drive gear, and when the bearing goes bad it grinds away at the shaft surface so a good used one would be in order

1 - 20 of 37 Posts