Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mufflers are all there but with some rust on the outside, no holes. Both mufflers have mice nests which continue to pour out grains, straw etc. The insides looks good from what I can see they were coated with oil which may have helped preserve them. What should I use to clean the inside of the mufflers? Also can you get just the outside of a rusty muffler chromed? thanks Jim

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Chrome shops don't like to fool with used exhaust parts, messes up their tanks, expensive to fix.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
There are tons of methods of removing rust from chrome, look up aluminum foil and vinegar.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rust on Chrome pipes-I will try the aluminum foil and vinegar. What do you then coat the part with? High temp on the pipes. thanks Jim

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Rust on Chrome pipes-I will try the aluminum foil and vinegar. What do you then coat the part with? High temp on the pipes. thanks Jim
Depending on how bad the rust is... You could go any of several routes. Powder coating and ceramic coating are durable and will serve you well for a very long time, but they can be costly.

High temp paints work but they're not as durable and may need touching up now and then.

If the rust hasn't flaked off any chrome and the damage is just surface pitting, you can gently remove the rust without scratching the chrome. Neutralize any acid with baking soda/water and rinse well then dry quickly with heat gun and towels before adding several coats of high quality car wax (once coolled down).

Inspect and wax regularly for best results, even furniture polish works well. Unprotected steel will eventually rust again, so there are trade-offs with each of these methods.

https://www.finishing.com/chrome.shtml

1 - 8 of 8 Posts