Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be changing out my sprockets and chain on my 81 cb400T. On my GSXR I had a 520 conversion kit for more off the line power, is there any type of sprocket conversion kit for an old CB? Not to to stunts like I was going for on my GSXR but just for better overall performance of the bike.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
I don't think anything is going to improve "overall" performance since it is necessarily a compromise between acceleration and top end or economy.

Adding or subtracting a tooth from the front sprocket will have a dramatic effect. Adding or subtracting a tooth on the rear sprocket will have a milder effect. If you're going to be mostly riding city streets adding a tooth to the rear sprocket may be desirable. If you're going to be doing mostly highway riding subtracting a tooth will decrease cruising rpm, possibly making it a bit quieter, but probably not improve economy noticeably.

Some of the folks here have done this with various models, I'm sure they'll be along to share their experiences.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Going to a narrower chain (¼" vs ⅜") will save a tiny amount of weight (probably about as much as urinating before your ride), & will increase the wear rather significantly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts