Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1978 cb400t1

This is my first bike, albeit a project and I am definetely new at motorcycles. Super anxious to get out and finally ride this beast. When I first got it home, charged the battery and put new gas in it, and it eventually started up. It had a poor idle and gas dripping from the left carb drain and very poor acceleration. I had a buddy (harley mechanic) rebuild my carbs. I replaced fuel filter and lines. After reinstalling the carbs, the bike kicked over on the first try. It idles great, no carb leaks with a little stutter on the left side as I can see and feel from the exhaust. It still has the poor acceleration problem and it seems to be only the left side that is not cooperating. when i rev it the engine just bogs down and or pops. I swapped ignition leads thinking maybe the coil was defective but this did not affect anything. My manual doesnt say how to test the CDI unit. I have yet to check compression and timing, but I have a feeling that its carb related still. Is there a way to do a basic sync without the fancy sync gauge? or am i missing some other equation... really rackin my brain here. Please give me some suggestions or the exact answer!

Thanks, cheers!

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
OK...First, the ignition is electronic, so probably not involved. (Timing for both cylinders is on the crank and non-adjustable)
...Secondly, the chamber underneath the engine makes the exhausts common....There is no specific left and right after the headers......
...SO.....You are possibly correct that it is carb related IF COMPRESSION is good in both cylinders......Check compression first......
...If you have good compression, re-clean,re-adjust and sync the carbs...(This has been covered extensively in prior posts).........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts