Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:
I need to replace the petcock in my "new" CB400T II. (1978) It is leaking in all positions. I purchased a factory replacement, but will keep the old one and try my luck at rebuilding it (tap/screws) at a later date.

My question is, "is there any good reason to pull the tank off for this swap-out? Or should I just drain it and limit my risk of making a mistake on unecessary steps.

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback.

-Dan

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another 400 series here. Got any pics of it to share?

Taking the tank off is not all that difficult. Just trip the two levers under the seat and remove the seat. Next, a 12 mm socket for the only bolt holding the tank on. Slide the tank off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I now understand how easy it is (was) to remove the tank.

My installation of the new petcock/strainer assembly went along almost without a hitch. I only struggled with the removal of the old strainer. (which I remembered others had commented on) I didn't have a screw extractor, but I did have a reasonably sized lag screw. After about 10 minutes of messing around and the help of a needle nose pliers, I was able to remove the old strainer. (quite destructed in the end) I probably could have done it quicker, but I was fearful of breaking it off inside the tank. Now everything is good and no more dripping/smelly gas in the garage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts