Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: Two weeks ago I bought a 1978 Cb400T Hawk with a 1980 CM400T parts bike off Craigslist for $300. Both bikes have not seen the road since I was born, 24 years ago. The Hawk's engine is seized and the CM had a good engine but no title. After trying everything from Marvel Mystery oil to diesel and everything in between I could not get the engine to budge. I originally planned to get both bikes running but that's not going to happen. So my new plan is to take the engine from the CM and put it on the CB to make one running bike. Maybe later I'll tear down the CB engine, but for now I'll stick to the plan. I plan to get the CB running and along the way make it a Cafe Racer. I don't know much about bikes, should make for a good learning experience.

What's been done: I've already tore down the CM to bare frame and started to tear down the CB to paint the frame.
Pics: CM's tear down

CB's tear down

·
Registered
82 Posts
Whats up tocayo.
Same name here...lol Looks like youre having fun man.
What are you plans for your cafe?
Style wise that is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like dirt daubbers! I've got a cb400 bottom end with 18K if you need it,it's got a bad cam,head.

I'm doing basically the same thing with my 78 CB400T. Good luck!

·
Registered
703 Posts
HerrDeacon said:
That has to be the strangest accumulation of dirt on a valve cover I've ever seen :D

Looks like it will be fun project. Must be nice to have a full parts bike like that, very convenient.

That ain't dirt, it's guano.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It's a type of wasp that builds their nests from dirt and saliva, to lay eggs in. They're mean little suckers. They rarely get annoyed by people but in the rare event you get stung by one, you're gonna know it. Trust me.

This concludes your nature lesson for the evening folks.. :lol:

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool someone else shares my name, maybe also my pain when I go to the pool...
Marco, sup? ...Polo
Marco, what? ...POLO!!!
That gets old quick.

Its been fun tearing the bikes down and VERY convenient having extra parts to pick from. But one thing I do have to complain about is its hot, really hot. Houston summers are very humid and not ideal for working in a room with no AC and a metal roof. Then again I was working without a fan for the first couple of weeks. Now with a fan its more comfortable but still hot.

The style I'm going with is Cafe Racer. I plan to make my own seat similar to the one Carpy sells called the "Vincent" style seat. I'll also be adding clubmans and cleaning up the front end.

Thralldad that's some good looking out man, but I don't think I'll be needing it. Thanks for the offer tho.

Dirt daubbers indeed, good thing none came with the bikes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet, nature lessons in my thread I did not see that coming.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a few questions maybe someone can help me out. Can I use the CM front end on the CB? It looks stronger and has no pitting on the forks compared to the CB's. Also the master cylinder for both bikes are seized and full of white stuff. Would it be better to rebuild them or go afrermarket?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts