Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't measure it myself right now, trying to remove it and could borrow a general flywheel puller from work. If I knew the diameter could pick the smallest one so it would better fit between crankcase and flywheel :unsure:

·
Sensei
26,573 Posts
You DO NOT pull it that way, you WILL damage the stator windings......

Thread a M20 x 1.5 pitch bolt (IIRC, if not someone should correct me) in where you removed the 8mm bolt.....I believe the oil drain plug will work......
Tighten it in.....strike end of bolt with hammer, tighten, strike.....repeat until it pops off.......

Edited for correct bolt size.....66

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You DO NOT pull it that way, you WILL damage the stator windings......

Thread a M16 x 1.5 pitch bolt in where you removed the 8mm bolt.....
Tighten it in.....strike end of bolt with hammer, tighten, strike.....repeat until it pops off.......
Don't you mean m20x1.5 bolt?

·
Sensei
26,573 Posts
Maybe...... I'm so used to typing M16 x 1.5 for many other models (That's why I added the IIRC).......
Whatever threads in will work......Sorry. it's late and I'm tired today.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe...... I'm so used to typing M16 x 1.5 for many other models (That's why I added the IIRC).......
Whatever threads in will work......Sorry. it's late and I'm tired today.....
No problem, I shouldn't use a general over flywheel puller because of why? Just interested to learn. Afraid of the hooks reaching magnets inside or what :unsure: ?

·
Super Moderator
11,001 Posts
No Honda alternator rotor should ever be pulled using any general use tool, it can cause damage to the structure of the rotor. These aren't lawn mower engines, the are well-designed with close tolerances and in many cases, the rotor is comprised of aluminum and magnets pressed together which is easily damaged. The stator coils are usually close enough in proximity to the rotor that they could be damaged by the overhanging hook tips as well. Since you seem to know the size of the bolt necessary to use in the center of the rotor to pull it in the proper fashion, why use the wrong tool and risk damage?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Yup, it's on a tapered shaft.
Just pop it off as suggested above with the correct thread bolt and a persuasive tappy-tap.

·
Super Moderator
23,089 Posts
The reason for not using a standard type jaw puller is that while you are applying pressure the the outer edge the center is still sticking. Result is bending the center plate of the rotor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts