Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

My '82 CB400N somehow lost all electric connecting over winter. When turning the key in the ignition there's no response whatsoever. No dash lights, no head/tail lights, nothing.
I've had the bike safely stored in the garage over winter, unplugged the battery and kept in on charger in winter/pulsating mode.
Even just tried connecting a brand new battery but still no response. The glass fuses are fine and the wirering looks like 6 months ago.

I'm going to run through the wirering on the bike with a VOA meter but still wondering what might have happened through winter as the bike was warmly and safely stored.

Anyone got any idea as to why my bike went hero to zero out of nowhere?

Best, Kristoffer

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Grab a meter or a simple 12v test light. Start at the battery... work forward from there..
Normally I would say "grab a fresh / good battery as it may have died over the winter..YES, even on a charger..
but you said NOTHING!.. no lights, or power of any kind.. I'm thinking maybe something got "shorted" during the re install of the battery... OR.. perhaps (dare I say this) the battery was installled backwards .. other than that, maybe a small rodent could have chewed through some wiring during storage..

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
All the above + start by cleaning and tightening the battery cables where they connect to the frame and the solenoid. The ground (negative) cable is a frequent culprit.

·
Registered
866 Posts
All the above + start by cleaning and tightening the battery cables where they connect to the frame and the solenoid. The ground (negative) cable is a frequent culprit.
Agree with this. One spring I was oh crap nothing is working now wtf, turns out the neg battery cable was just loose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SOLVED!

First fighting a multimeter with blown fuses, I finally got to run through the wirering on the bike. The ground cable was firmly connected all around.
I had some trouble with rusted fuses so cleaned them up. I still lost current on my way but seems that taking all connections apart and air cleaning them did the trick. Some places it seemed spiders have had a party making small nests.
Anyway I'm up and running. Thanks for the help guys!

To sum up, no specific point of trouble but a run through of the wirering giving them a good cleaning did the job!

Best, Kristoffer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts