Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi hope someone can help please.

I am in the process of doing a Top end restore on my CB400N and have removed everything including the ‘Camshaft Chain Guide’ and ‘Cam Chain Tensioner’.

However, I would like to drop the engine out and clean the Crankcases ready for respraying, but, would like to remove the ‘Cam Chain Tensioner Blade’ so I can turn the engine over without damaging it.

The question is, is this possible and more importantly how easy is it to put back?

Many thanks

Philip

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bill
Many thanks for that much appreciated.

Thought it probably was the case, never opened one of these beasts before and thought there maybe another way, so its Plan B support with wooden chocks and be careful lol.
Regards

Philip

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Just for info I keep some 6x6 , 4x4 , 2x4 and door wedges. on hand. I cut them 18 to 20 inches long. I can then flip the motor upside down and brace it up high enough to clear everything. I also have a couple of saw horses about 40 inches high and a 4 ft by 4 ft sheet of plywood on hand to use as a portable work bench if needed. Just some thoughts.

Bill H

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bill
Many thanks for that, you just given me an idea to use my old Black and Decker workbench and strap it to that. With the Bench opened up the ‘Cam Chain Tensioner Blade’ can slip between.
If I want something a bit more solid I'll source some Timber as you say and use that, it always comes in use for something.

Cheers

Philip

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
An empty milk crate, inverted on the bench, works well. The cylinder studs can stick through the holes in the crate bottom, holds the crankcase level, easy to spin the whole works around to access the other side.

Reactions: Bill H
1 - 7 of 7 Posts