Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know , why the CB400N is claimed to have so many more horses than he CB400A (automatic), when it's basically the same engine (43bhp versus 26bhp)
I ask because arthritis in my left hand and wrist makes using the clutch increasingly difficult, so I'd like an automatic (oldish) bike for Club runs.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The main differences are the A model uses a different head and cam plus smaller carbs. Not you can't gain anything by using the manual parts on an A model even though they fit and work. Makes the power worse, not better.
Sine the A model is an automatic with a torque converter the horsepower is of less importance than the torque. Torque is what is needed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that helpful reply, I'm inclined to ask if that "A" model performance is adequate---if that is not a silly question.
Robin.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I dont know if this will help. The a will run about 58 mph in 1st and top out at about 88 to 90 in second. They pull strong and you wont win any races with it but they run better than you think they will. They are a blast to ride and great in traffic because you dont have to shift gears.

Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill and Jim, many thanks, I now know that I want a 400A
There never were very many here in the UK, but I'll try to hunt one down.
It's a funny thing that for nearly 50 years of motorcycling, I've taken pleasure in slick gear shifting, now I've so changed, I have a 400 Burgman and love that, but as an active member of the VMCC I really need a bike that is at least 25 years old for Club Runs.
(VMCC = Vintage and Classic Motorcycle Club)
Thanks again,
Robin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts