Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok I know this has nothing to do with bikes but im using a bike motor so enjoy. This is going to be a condensed copy of my build thread on the buggys forums. Original build thread at BuggyNews Buggy Forum ? View topic - Crossfire 400r IRS. Edit....can someone fix the spelling in the title since i cant seem to edit the title.

This weekend ( 05-24-2017) we killed 3 buggys in ina 30 minute time span. My buddys crossfire ate a tree with the driver front wheel and broke it completely off and folded the shock in half and then not long after that i hit his son head on at about 35mph coming around a turn ( he had lost something out of his buggy and turned around to go get it) and it pretty much totaled my HH 250 and tore his HH GL 150 up pretty bad :( No body was seriously hurt just some bruises. But his buggy just needs 2 new a-arms and a wheel and my 250 it completely destroyed both a-arms the shock and all mounting tabs for the a-arms and strut.

So im bout to go out side and cut the HH 250 in half behind the seats and we are just going to weld the HH rear to the crossfire 150r and then after our trip to the offroad park we are going to put the 400cc on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Few more pics. And one of the little HH 150 i hit which has been mostly fixed and one of the other crossfire. The HH 250 rear just about fits perfect under the crossfire's rack. Hopefully we should have the frames welded together this afternoon and then all thats left is to move the wiring and shifter over to the crossfire and remount the brake master cylinder.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Making some progress......Hope we got everything level and square. Should have it ready to test drive tomorrow.

Heres a couple with the cage back on. Still gotta weld the bottom of the frame up and modify the 3 mounts behind the seats. We are going to weld the cage solid at all mounting points and put an x brace in the roof of it and fix the rack area where it can be taken off separate like the HH 250s rack. Gotta get shifter mounted and hooked up and get some custom wiring done....Atm i just have the entire HH dash and harness layed out in the floor for testing. Im really shocked at how the HH 250 rear fits so good under the crossfire rack.....It almost seems like its sposed to be there. P.S. it looks better in person and it wasnt quiet aligned in this pic.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.Its now on its own 4 wheels and is solid. Gotta get wiring done and shifter mounted and brake master cylinder mounted. Master cylinder will be mounted directly in front of driver seat as theres no where behind to mount it. Shifter will be mounted as expected and battery will be mounted in the center in front of the motor. Also added a couple of goodies to my buddys sons buggy and got me a new toy to put on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heres a couple of pics from the offroad park. Buddy missed the good air i got :/

Heres where im currently at. Got the 400 fired up and running...ish. It is now being put in. 250 is out.

Needs to go up and back for header clearance and i really dont think im going to have room for the polaris tranny. I need a shaft made like Donniearcher did in his build. Here are some pics of his reverse shaft.

I had been talking to him back in january about his build but when i emailed him a few months later about it again his wife informed me that he had passed away :(.

Is there anyone that could build one for me at a reasonable price?

In the sketch he has 3/4 shaft but i believe he actually used 1inch.

Current plans for the 400 as money allows are Dual to single carb swap, GL1000 stator swap, GM coil, Ignitech ignition. Would love to go fuel injection but just cant afford it atm.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Jonathon Bell in Berlin, Ga can prob make that shaft. They have an awesome facility, do great work and have always been very reasonable with me. 229-324-2124 or 229-324-2239
just outside of Moultrie, prob 2hr drive from you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Slofut....Thx for the number ill give him a call this week and it is right at 2hr away but having reverse is worth a 2 hr drive lol.

TOOLS1....These are a blast to drive cheap to work on and more performance parts than you can shake a stick at....The one on the trailer with the broke off wheel is the 2nd one of these i ever bought and with the stock 150cc it would run about 35mph but then i put a big bore kit, high performance cam shaft, big port big valve head, 26mm carb, custom intake/exaust and all custom CVT it would run almost 50mph at 10,000 rpm and still had enough lowend to climb anything you wanted to. They even make 4 valve heads for the 150's. At the time the pic was taken it had every thing listed above except a bigger cylinder 62mm vs the 60mm i had before i sold it to my buddy (the guy in the red shirt) and a 2.5mm stroker crank...they make up to a 8mm stroker. It now has a 4 valve 250cc on it. Have pics and build thread on it on the same forums in the 1st post.

Longdistancerider....Thx for the fix and its gonna be sweet loud and fast once i get it finished.

I want to paint the buggy flat black or rhino line it and would also like to paint the motor flat black....How will that effect cooling? Any recommended paint? Im already planning on running an electric fan in front of the motor to help with cooling since its going to be close to the seats. Thats another reason for the stator upgrade. I set my center carrier back in temporary and i believe i have a mental picture of how i want my jackshaft set up.....Im going to run a 30t on the motor side to start with Cant remember how many teeth are on the reverse box but axle sprocket is 39t. rear tires are 22x11-10 atm but ive got a nice set of matching mag wheels 10 front 12 rear and would like to go 25x12.50-12 in the future.

Next issue is exhaust....The headers need to be rebent to use on the buggy unless i set the motor up enough so they go under like factory but then theres going to be no where really for them to exit. Would rather them come out the side and turn towards the back like the stock muffler on the buggy. The green circles is where i want them to come and the red is where they would have to come out if i run the headers under the motor.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
If you can cut two buggies apart and weld them together, you should not have any problem with making the exhaust go anywhere you want it to. As for painting the engine black, it should make it run cooler. Black does absorb heat, but it also dissipates heat faster, that is why most car engines are painted black today.
How does that reverse work?
TOOLS

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hate dealing with exhaust because i dont have any good way to bend pipe :( These reverse boxes consist of a set of planetary gears which is why they are so compact. Also the shift fork is spring loaded so if the cable breaks it automatically goes back to forward.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Slofut....Thx for the number ill give him a call this week and it is right at 2hr away but having reverse is worth a 2 hr drive lol.

TOOLS1....These are a blast to drive cheap to work on and more performance parts than you can shake a stick at....The one on the trailer with the broke off wheel is the 2nd one of these i ever bought and with the stock 150cc it would run about 35mph but then i put a big bore kit, high performance cam shaft, big port big valve head, 26mm carb, custom intake/exaust and all custom CVT it would run almost 50mph at 10,000 rpm and still had enough lowend to climb anything you wanted to. They even make 4 valve heads for the 150's. At the time the pic was taken it had every thing listed above except a bigger cylinder 62mm vs the 60mm i had before i sold it to my buddy (the guy in the red shirt) and a 2.5mm stroker crank...they make up to a 8mm stroker. It now has a 4 valve 250cc on it. Have pics and build thread on it on the same forums in the 1st post.

Longdistancerider....Thx for the fix and its gonna be sweet loud and fast once i get it finished.

I want to paint the buggy flat black or rhino line it and would also like to paint the motor flat black....How will that effect cooling? Any recommended paint? Im already planning on running an electric fan in front of the motor to help with cooling since its going to be close to the seats. Thats another reason for the stator upgrade. I set my center carrier back in temporary and i believe i have a mental picture of how i want my jackshaft set up.....Im going to run a 30t on the motor side to start with Cant remember how many teeth are on the reverse box but axle sprocket is 39t. rear tires are 22x11-10 atm but ive got a nice set of matching mag wheels 10 front 12 rear and would like to go 25x12.50-12 in the future.

Next issue is exhaust....The headers need to be rebent to use on the buggy unless i set the motor up enough so they go under like factory but then theres going to be no where really for them to exit. Would rather them come out the side and turn towards the back like the stock muffler on the buggy. The green circles is where i want them to come and the red is where they would have to come out if i run the headers under the motor.

Any cheap carpartsdealers near you? If you can weld a tube then exhaust is nothing. For instance you can use a bend or four, start with a 30 degree, then a 90, short pipe, 10 or 15 to go up and there you are ( cut as you go to make fit ) just as an example ). Buy pipes for a small saloon car with a small inline 4 engine 1.5-1.8L, most of them has a 1.5" or 1,3/4" pipes. I did that with a old 250 RMX i had, worked like a charm... Nice sound to... ?

Sent fra min SM-T530 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Motor mounts should be done this week and im just going to build custom headers since the factory are double wall....1.5 inch pipe be good? and should i make an H pipe?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
1.5 inch is the largest you want to use, 1.25 is closer to what you want but a little too small for the gas volume.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ordered some parts lastnight.

1"x12" Keyed shaft
30t sprocket
pillow bearings
1.5" exhaust pipe
Pulled a reverse box and shaft out of a parts buggy

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I may be getting set of VB24C carbs and need to know where to get needle valves and gaskets. Ive found plenty but last rebuild kits i got had to long of needle valves and the bowl gaskets expanded and was usless the next time i took the bowls off.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The float needles for the white floats are almost always too long from aftermarket sources. Honda seems to be the only choice for those. In many cases you can re-use the old ones by simply buffing the rubber tip with #1000 or higher sandpaper. If there's no wear groove in them that should take care of getting them to seal

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got everything in for the jackshaft except the shaft itself.....But still was able to do a rough mock up of how its goin to be. Got a guy thats going to mate the 1" shaft to the stock GY6 150 reverse shaft for a really good deal. Got a 1.5" mandrel bent multi bend exhaust pipe and believe i have that pretty much figured out...its gonna be straight piped till i figure out mufflers. Getting a set of VB24C carbs from a member here.

Thx for the sanding tip LDR. Ill give that a shot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update....Got my 1' keyed shat today and will be sending it and the stock reverse shaft off to be put together soon. Changed my mind on carbs again and have decided on a pair of VM-30s Any help on getting them setup for 4 stroke instead of 2 stroke would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts