Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of wiring up the buggy im building and need to shorten/eliminate 90% of the bike wiring.....Main things i need to know are the pinouts for the cdi and regulator.....The cdi's im used to working with have 5 wires...Stator ac, trigger, coil, kill, ground. This one has alot more obviously...I know which is the coil, kill, and stator/ac power but no clue on the rest or which i need dont need in my application.

Regulator has 6 wires....3 from stator, hot, ground? last one? I have no change switch but how many wires is it sposed to have? What is the little relay thing in the electrical box for? do i need to keep it? I have access to the adobe site with all of the wiring diagrams etc but i cant hardly read any of them and if i zoom in they just get worse looking :(

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Try not go into a lot of detail. The change switch works thru the change rely to control the starter , the side stand switch and the idle timing. Its done thru the CDI box thats why the extra wires. If you want to know how it works I will send you a PM.

IMHO you would be better going to a 400T flywheel, stator and CDI box. Its a bolt on change and would be better for your project. Some members can tell you other ways to do this and there is a sticky that will help. To do what your trying with the 400A CDI box would take a lot of work that you dont need to do.

Just my thoughts

Bill

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
beefking69 if your not going to use the change switch, change relay,side stand switch ,indicator lights [first or second gear lights] or the idle circut there might be a way to do this with the 400a CDI box. Let me know what your using and maybe I can help . Ill be gone the rest of the day but tomorrow Ill get the wiring dia out and see if we can work around these.

Maybe we can get this to work.

Bill

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah my change switch is broke off.....how many wires is it supposed to have? I know where i can get on but it looks in bad shape and has 2 wires coming out of it but idk if thats all its supposed to have or not. Honestly i dont really need the indicator lights or any of that and i dont really care about the idle up in gear function either. I had looked into the 400t stuff but if i was going to buy all that stuff id just go with a igntech unit.

For now i just wanna use what i got with as few wires as possible. Motion pro said it would be anywhere from 120-170 for a 2-1 throttle cable and i wasnt expecting more than 100 for that so thats got funds sorta screwed up and i still gotta buy chain and shocks and its gotten outa hand lol but its coming along slowly.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
The change switch only has two wires that go to the change relay. I may be way off base here but I will tell you what I think but its not been done that I know of so you pays your money
and takes your chances.

With out the change switch

The CDI box will "think " the motor is in neutral.

The starter should work

The motor will start in gear

The side stand switch wont mater because you wont have one.

The CDI box wont receive a signal to the SCR 2 gate so the time wont go to 15 degrees when the motor is put in gear so the rpm wont increase to compensate for the extra load of the torque
convertor .You may have to increase the idle rpm.

Other than the change switch wires you will have to leave the wiring as it is .. There are other circuts involved and if you start to remove wires it will result in other problems. But it will be the cheapest route. Leave the change switch in or plug the hole to keep the dirt out. Maybe make up a panel and mount everything under the dash . Not what you wanted to here but I spent several hours with the wiring dia and dont see another way to do it with what you have to work with. Except for the change switch wires you should be able to use the original harness just move the components from the bike to the buggy.

Just my thoughts.

Bill

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thx for looking into it buddy and the change switch is still in the motor just all the wires are tore out of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts