Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
854 Posts
That was fun, HD guy was really getting into the turns.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know them but I'd probably meet them if I go down there and I think I will some day. Here is another video with Oliver riding the bike on a normal road:

·
Registered
755 Posts
I know the focus is on the honda, but that is rather impressive riding on a bagger with apehangers! :eek:

If I'm not mistaken, I've seen this video before as part of a riding academy-style presentation.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I know the focus is on the honda, but that is rather impressive riding on a bagger with apehangers! :eek:

If I'm not mistaken, I've seen this video before as part of a riding academy-style presentation.
Speaking of HD's.
The following video has made the rounds, in case someone here hasn't seen it, its worth a watch.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
There's a video out there of a Harley really carving up a mountain road somewhere near the Dragon as well, IIRC... the guy does some pretty serious hustling with a big ol' sled, but I don't think it had apehangers though (I could go the rest of my life without seeing a set of those, they're hideous)

I stand corrected - that's the video, and it did have apehangers... nice slide in one of the early turns!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Oupa, you could be right about it.

It's cool to see the HD but I'm impressed with him keeping up with the much bigger bike and both are good riders.
After seeing this CB400N racing I'm really looking forward to get my bike in top shape.

Edit: yes that's the video :) Funny you guys posted these comments about the apehanger guy while I was typing about it

·
Banned
854 Posts
The HD guy in video above is nuts and has some serious skills.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
After seeing this CB400N racing I'm really looking forward to get my bike in top shape.
Not to diminish the ride on the track by the guy on the 400 - I'd love to get on a track one day, but not to race against competition, just to enjoy riding a real racetrack - but there were very few moments in his ride on the track that were close to real race speed and/or lean angles, just so you know... when you watch the badasses road racing today doing the real thing, you realize just how much faster they are going than any time you've ever even scared yourself. I used to ride with a guy back in the '70s who taught me a lot about cornering, primarily because he was as nuts as the Harley guy and was seemingly unafraid to let it really hang out, and I scared myself many times chasing him, and could only ever pass him once in years of riding twisties with him. To go race-fast takes some serious cojones...

like these guys - well, after the first minute of BS (except for the ladies, of course)

·
Registered
633 Posts
What's wrong with Ape-hangers?
IMG_2382.JPG

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yeah, that's something else in that video but I still think he was racing the CB400. I haven't yet seen a video where some one is riding the bike like he does so it was fun to see it in action.

I think you should go to a track and have fun. Here in general we're pretty good at taking track courses called SMC School since it makes you a better rider and you'll have more fun with the gained confidence and knowledge. You can also keep advancing the course and get a race licence.

Haha, nuts you say. Yes, some people have no fear, luckily I feel no need to go crazy fast. My modern bikes have been motards so I prefer having fun on one wheel :-D the bikes also allow more lean angles then other bikes which is fun.

Gixxer-18 badass :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
That's a photo of a mate....I was on a Superdream 250N in those days...
IMG_2386.JPG

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I've ridden since I was 14, have owned 34 bikes since then and have drag raced extensively - so I can ride just fine, but I have little desire to risk the limits on my cornering ability now that I'm 64. I've spent a fair amount of time on one wheel myself too...

SL350K1 Croom jump.jpg my Honda 450 at Twin City, 1974 with time ticket.jpg

79 CBX.jpg CBX wheelie 1981.jpg

·
Registered
633 Posts
That was me at a bike show in 1984.... I ride a Yamaha R6 on track nowadays, and I'd recommend track days for going fast without the hassle of traffic.. I've done Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Mallory Park, Snetterton, Castle Combe, Pembrey, they're all UK tracks, and you get a taste of high speeds without having to worry about oncoming traffic, or street furniture. Plus there are instructors available to critique your riding style and suggest tips to make your riding better.

·
Registered
633 Posts
In all my years of riding, I've never managed to wheelie a bike. I've never tried! The Self Preservation Society!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
That was me at a bike show in 1984.... I ride a Yamaha R6 on track nowadays, and I'd recommend track days for going fast without the hassle of traffic.. I've done Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Mallory Park, Snetterton, Castle Combe, Pembrey, they're all UK tracks, and you get a taste of high speeds without having to worry about oncoming traffic, or street furniture. Plus there are instructors available to critique your riding style and suggest tips to make your riding better.
While it would be fun, I'm sure there would also be costs associated with the access... I'm on a retired budget now, with plenty of rural roads to ride that are free and all around me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts