Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried to my hand a doing the fork seals myself. All went well until the removal of the old seals. They were just deteriorating and the inner metal on the seal it's self was just bending and I started twisting it with a set of needle nose. I think I finally got the inner metal ring all out but now there is a lot of remaining rubber below the c-clip area.

CB Fork seal job 017.JPG CB Fork seal job 019.JPG

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
i used a cats paw to pull mine out.
My cat won't help me fix my bike, and the dog's claws are too big :cool:

The Claw won't help if the retaining ring is left in.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the C-clip but didn't see another clip to remove. I'm confused how I could have missed it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also went to my local Zatozone but they didn't have a puller. AKA my local part store is a revolving door of people who used to work at the best napa I know..

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
honda-cb360-1974-usa-front-fork_bighu0231f9007_cfe1.gif

I removed # 6 and #16, if there was another clip why won't they show it?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fork seal bullshit 001.JPG fork seal bullshit 002.JPG

After prying and smacking and pulling here's where Iam.. WTF.. FML..

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I inverted the tubes overnight and let them soak in a shallow bath of PB blaster, then used a torch to apply heat to the aluminum. After that it was a flat head screwdriver with a rag underneath and a good amount of force to pry them out. Use a medium size flat head so that you can get maximum contact with the lip of the seal. One of my seals we had pried on pretty badly; I went around the diameter tapping the lip back to flat with a hammer and socket and I was able to pry it out no problem!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cannot get the remains off. Wish I could have seen the heat method before. Didn't even thing about that. All the videos/forums I saw people had minimual problems. Unlike me! Blah, bike has been nothing but problems. Still have faith of course!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got my used LOWER's in the mail and installed the fork seals using the old seal on top of the new one. rubbed fork oil around the seals before install. for some reason they are both still showing signs of leaking at the seals. hmmmmmm

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is a true shot in the dark. Do the seals have a backup spring on the inner wiper? Different seal but in my case the spring rolled out of it's groove and seal leaked. Was able to remove seal in my case, rolled spring back into place and reinstalled. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I replace all my seals with leak proof seals, they are easy to install, made in the US and have a lifetime warranty. The good news about them is that if you need to take the fork apart again they pop right out. With standard style seals it it very important that they are seated squarely and that the lips for the seals are not damaged when installing them. A piece of PVC pipe works well as an installation tool. What shape are your upper tubes in?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The uppers are in fine shape. Not sure what I did wrong here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts