Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just woken up my Café Racer G5 after 10 years sleeping in the garage. Running but there seems to be a little oil leaking into the left hand side points/contact breaker housing.
Is it likely to be the oil seal, shown as 19 in the exploded parts diagram Haynes manual, or something else. ( cant find a parts number as yet )
I've seen a video on youtube for a 350, suggesting the housing may not be seated to the cylinder head properly.
Cheers

·
Registered
555 Posts
In general, you'll get oil in that space from one of three spots - the camshaft oil seal or the two caps on the ends of the rocker arm pivots (items 8 and 33 on this diagram: https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb360-sport-1974-usa_model1007/partslist/E++03.html#results)

I think the 350 has a somewhat different position on the head, though I can't say for sure. I'd ensure that you have both caps in the ends of the rocker pivots and that you aren't seeing a weep from the camshaft oil seal before I started to consider the valve cover/cylinder head seal in that position.

EDIT: Dammit Richard, you speed demon, you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your very quick replies. The plug rubbers look like an easy fix, how hard is it to replace the camshaft oil seal can it be done without taking the engine apart ?

·
Registered
555 Posts
You might be able to weasel it out with a pick, but I'm not sure if you'd be able to get a new one in - don't be intimidated by taking the valve cover off though, it's a 30-minute job that you can do with the engine in the frame. Just make sure you have Hondabond/Threebond/Yamabond/whateverbond on hand, as the valve cover uses it in lieu of a gasket.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The cam seal, IIRC, is directly behind the points plate and the spark advancer. I replaced mine easy peasy years ago and I had no idea what the hell I was doing. It's simple.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You remember correctly indeed, sir! I've only ever swapped it while the valve cover was already off, so no experience with the in-place swap.

Then again, I still have no idea what the hell I'm doing :D

·
Registered
539 Posts
Gene, love your candy orange 4 piper in your avatar. wish I still had one of mine from long ago
Thanks. I'm lucky, get to ride it most everyday. I love old bikes but they do require attention.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts