Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rebuildit the carbs new plugs points look great.I set the cam chain,set the timing & point's as common motors Brenden showed on his step by step.and he leaves out things it's confusing.I never tuned a 360, when it came to Synchronizing i bench set it.put carbs back on the bike, and i just can't get them set right, it won't idle smooth.I need a starting point on setting these carbs i keep messing things up..?? help!I'm feeling a bit stupid right now.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tapecase thxs for asking.I brought the gauges with 2 dials R-L reading,i didn't know about commono motors unit.But when i thought i had it set i couldn't get a steady idle and when i tried to increase the idle it would start popping & back fire the gauges were reading just outside the red back N forth 10 to 15 when givin a lil gas.so i tried resetting everything and now i messed it all up.i know theres a better way.i need some advise on what i'm doing or not doing.any help well be appreciated.thxs Mike

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Popping and back fire usually means you have a lean condition in the air/fuel mixture. Check to see if you have an air leak around the carb boots

Assuming of course that your ignition timing is correct.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thxs 76 Twin,i did spray carb cleaner around the boots no ramp in RPMS.i think i have it right i followed common motors Brenden on utube but i'm not 100% sure of anything right now.I have to say the bike hasn't been running sence 1980 it's got 3900 orginal mile's.could new mufflers cause any of it? i don't know how the bike was running before i got it, I'm really new to these bikes.Help is much needed THXS.Mike

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OH yeah a few times,I fisrt followed Brened of common motors Video's.But some where i went wrong.How do you Tune & set your from cam adjustment to setting the timing?cause I'm doing something wrong.Help me Mike

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah i have,How do you tune your's from start to fininsh?cause what i'm doing isn't working?? THXS Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
With engine cold:
Adjust cam chain tension (making sure all valves are closed)
Check/adjust valve clearances
Set points gaps and ignition timing

With engine at operating temperature:
Set idle mixture
Sync carbs

Are you running stock airboxes, or pods?
When you had the carbs apart, did you make sure all the passages of the idle circuit were clear?

·
Registered
539 Posts
With engine cold:
Adjust cam chain tension (making sure all valves are closed)
Check/adjust valve clearances
Set points gaps and ignition timing

With engine at operating temperature:
Set idle mixture
Sync carbs

Are you running stock airboxes, or pods?
When you had the carbs apart, did you make sure all the passages of the idle circuit were clear?
I have found when working on my 360G that he points can slip after I was SURE I gapped them correctly and the timing was spot on. 2-3 tries later everything's peachy. Sometimes you have to rinse and repeat. - but that's me, may not be your situation.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm running stock air filters.on the passages i think so,oh shoot now I'm not sure you know when your cleaning the carbs someone calls or drops by.i really don't want to pull them off again you know it's a pain in the [email protected]#*()*.i wish i new how to down load some pictures when i opeaned them up OMG.the bowls were almost solid hard dark red substance i would think in 1980 when he stored the bike he put some kind of fuel stabilizer.i cleanded the hell out of them replaced everything needed.I Thx you for the info.i can't get to it till the sun goes down it's 104 out side right now.thxs Mike P.S. anything else you can think of please let me know.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Gene,i bet it's nice at the beach at 72 pretty good.you poor guy having to put up with that.I'm on fire here it's 103 here.thxs i didn't know that could happen.I guess i'm going to have to redo everything again for the 2nd time.i still wounder if the MAC mufflers are causing any of it.THXs MIKE any more advise i'll take all i can get.

·
Registered
539 Posts
2nd, 3rd time, 4th - you'll get there and then you'll be ecstatic. But - try to do only one thing at a time so you can check it off the list. I'm guilty of doing everything at once and then not knowing what I did right, and what I did wrong - so take it slowly.

And yeah - life at the beach is rough . . . :cool:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are to funny.I will take that fine advise to heart cause i to am the same, to much multi tasking.I know it's hard life at the beach but somebody has to live there.Mike

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes that's great I'll check it out great info.THXS very much Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts