Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I've had my CB360T for about 1 month. I drive it on the weekends (short drives) and it was running perfectly. Yesterday I was moving my cars and bikes around in the driveway, I started up the 360 perfectly, it ran for about 2 in on idle, and then I turned it off. Did this twice to move it. On the third time to move it back into my garage, the big did now want to start. Not even catch, nothing.

I pushed it into the garage and tried to start it again...nothing at all

I'm very mechanically inclined, but this is my first bike and I'm not really sure where to go from here. Here is what I've checked so far

-Engine turns over (starter works)
-All electronics work
-Petcock is functional. Fuel flows through the filter on both carbs
-Sparks fire as they should
-Killswitch is good
-choke on or off makes no difference
-no luck with the kickstarter

I've tried starting the bike many times now but no luck. On maybe the 4th time trying it, it popped twice as if it was going to start and then died immediately...no luck since. I don't understand how one minute it was working perfectly, starting at a half turn, and now nothing... Help please as I'd just like to ride it!

Also, not sure if I'm in the right section...feel free to move it if necessary

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
check the kill switch.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
You say it does nothing, elaborate. No lights? no starter? etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You say it does nothing, elaborate. No lights? no starter? etc.
Sorry I should have specified. Starter works, engine turns over, lights, flashers, everything is good. Turns over but never catches except those two pops I got on the 4th tried.

Modded my original post

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Starting fluid will determine if electrical or fuel. If it fires off on starting fluid it is a fuel delivery problem.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
You can also remove the bowl drain screws and see if fuel comes out. Also pop the tank cap in case vent is clogged and check fuel flow.

·
Registered
539 Posts
^^ check that. Need a vent to the tank. If clogged it will start and die. Otherwise - odd. As always, just check the points. Often this can be the issue.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Hey Patrick
It may be flooded.
Did you let it sit for a bit and then try it again?
It may fire up today.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Double check the Battery for Full Charge.

Multiple Starts using the E-Starter may have brought your voltage down to where the coils will not produce enough energy to have the spark jump the gap under compression.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Last night I tried to start it with a little spray of brake cleaner instead of starter fluid....no start again.

Just to be sure it was explosive enough, once it wouldn't start, I took a bbq lighter and put it near the cylinder...it blew up lol. So I'm lead to believe my issue is spark related. I plugged my battery to a battery trickle charger last night.

Hey Patrick
It may be flooded.
Did you let it sit for a bit and then try it again?
It may fire up today.
Started acting up Saturday, let it sit over night and nothing. Definitely not flooded

Double check the Battery for Full Charge.

Multiple Starts using the E-Starter may have brought your voltage down to where the coils will not produce enough energy to have the spark jump the gap under compression.
This morning I tried to test for spark again. As per usual, I removed the spark plug, put it into the wire, turned it over, but no spark jumping the gap. However when I backed the plug off of the ground a tiny bit, I could see a mini spark. I'm thinking you may be onto something.

Can I boost a bike with a car like I do a regular battery boost? Would this provide me with enough power to create spark?

A few other things you should know:

- Bike had an engine rebuild last summer and full restoration/modification. Everything is new. Bike has 250 km on it since rebuild
- cleaned and rebuilt carbs 100km ago
- New spark plugs 100km ago
- New anti-gravity battery

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
You can boost off of a car but make sure the car is not running and remember a car battery can supply a lot more amps so watch where the hot cables touch.

Brake cleaner isn't a good test.

Reactions: dmfcb750

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can boost off of a car but make sure the car is not running and remember a car battery can supply a lot more amps so watch where the hot cables touch.

Brake cleaner isn't a good test.
Ok, I'll try again with starter fluid

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So I picked up Starter Fluid from my local hardware store, got home, put one small spray in each carb velocity stack, and it started right up as if nothing happened. Bike runs great.

I even went for a 15 min ride, parked it, and it started right back up again...it's as if there was never an issue.

I'm just worried that it'll pull this on me again and I'll be left stranded somewhere. Anyone have an explanation as to why this could have happened? The only explanation I can come up with is that battery voltage was too low from too many start attempts, it wasn't sparking, and then 24hrs on the trickle charge was enough to bring it back to life...but that doesn't really explain the original no-start...

PS. Thanks a million for the help guys!

·
Registered
34 Posts
So I picked up Starter Fluid from my local hardware store, got home, put one small spray in each carb velocity stack, and it started right up as if nothing happened. Bike runs great.

I even went for a 15 min ride, parked it, and it started right back up again...it's as if there was never an issue.

I'm just worried that it'll pull this on me again and I'll be left stranded someone. Anyone have an explanation as to why this could have happened? The only explanation is that battery voltage was too low from too many start attempts, it wasn't sparking, and then 24hrs on the trickle charge was enough to bring it back to life...but that doesn't really explain the original no-start...

PS. Thanks a million for the help guys!
Check the voltage regulator after a ride. If it is unusually hot, that may be your problem. Ergo, you started your bike ran it for a bit, shut it off, repeated that long enough to a voltage regulator to get hot, third try with funked up regulator doesn't give enough spark to ignite but just enough to fuel foul the plugs. It's a thought.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Check the voltage regulator after a ride. If it is unusually hot, that may be your problem. Ergo, you started your bike ran it for a bit, shut it off, repeated that long enough to a voltage regulator to get hot, third try with funked up regulator doesn't give enough spark to ignite but just enough to fuel foul the plugs. It's a thought.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
So my bike sat on the trickle charger last night. I went to use it this morning, used the e-starter, turned on no problem for a split second, it started to die, I gave it some gas, it started to run on one cylinder for about 5 seconds, and then choked out. Now it won't start again...Motor still turns over fine on e-starter, just no starting at all.

Shot a spray of Starter Fluid in each carb like last night, still no start. A bit frustrating.

What would you guys suggest as a next step to diagnosing this?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'd go straight down the list - it sounds to me like you might have two separate problems that are overlapping in terms of when they actually happen. How old is your battery? I'd take it to your local auto parts store and have them cycle test it; even a crap battery can read above 12.6v after sitting on a trickle charger, but it's deceptive. (If your reg/ actually a problem, then it wouldn't be surprising if it's been doing less than awesome at charging your battery and frying it in the process - to be honest, if you haven't swapped the R/R yet, it's a cheap enough upgrade that I'd add that to your plan).

Once you've eliminated the battery, I'd move on to the carbs - the starter fluid helping indicates to me that something's not right there. Clean em out and make sure the floats are set to the right height. If neither of those fixes it, I'd go down the route of testing for compression and for proper coil operation.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Any updates Patrick?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bike still won't start but I realized that this issue is most likely self inflicted lol.

When taking off my trickle charger the other day, I realized that the charger I was using was not a charger for a lithium ion battery. I made a mistake and confused it with a regular one. So $200 later I ordered a new battery and it should be here next week. I'll plug it in and let you guys know if that solves my issue. Finishing my bike license on May 24th, so it would be nice if the bike was running by then lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts