Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got an old cb360 from a friend who basically ran it enough to get him to school and back. I thought, "sure, I'd like something to wrench on" and that was a mistake. He was running on one cylinder with no battery recharging. He would run it until the battery ran out and then recharge. Electric start would fry the main and head fuses, so he only kicked it.

First thing first, I worked on the battery recharging. I got a regulator/rectifier from common motor and hooked it up and it charged the battery. Battery was still pretty shot and didn't hold a charge though.

Next I figured out why he wasn't getting a spark in the left cylinder. It was the ignition coil, so I replaced it and could get a spark.

Now comes the big problem. His high beams would work, but no neutral indicator or high beam light. Also, using the turn signals (say left) would turn the left bright and hold it there while turning the right off. I figured that was the signal relay, so I replaced that and it didn't do anything.

So I decided maybe it had to do something from the starter relay because it had so much to do with the front end. I took it apart and broke it, so I bought a new one. I wire wheeled all the leads to and from it to make sure I was getting a good connection. Now, all I get is a click from the starter relay and no response to the starter motor. I had been able to sporadically use the starter motor before, so I figured it was the crappy battery that wouldn't charge past 12v. So I bought an AGM battery and hooked it up and still.. just a click.

So today I opened up the headlight to see the wiring. The only weird things I saw were a brown wire, which I understand is only for european bikes that have front parking lights, and a green/red wire. According to the wiring diagram, this is the ground for the neutral indicator. But it wasn't coming from the bundle of wires going to the dash lights.

I am completely lost now. Turning the key on I can hit the brake to light it up. Front brake switch isn't working. Horn doesn't work. I feel like there is some obvious thing that I'll feel stupid dragging this to a mechanic for.

I'm new to all of this so if my reasoning is off, please let me know. Any ideas? I'll post any pictures you'd like.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Are you referring to the indicator light assembly? Might be bad bulbs, that is what the problem was with me. Otherwise, you may have to replace the neutral switch or at least check the wiring (under the engine sprocket cover).

Regarding the turn signals, it seems like the wiring in the headlight might be installed incorrectly, i.e. the running light wiring mixed with the flasher. See what happens when you swap the wires.

Not sure about the starter relay.

I wired up my CB360 just a few weeks ago and I do recall some extraneous wires being installed. I could be wrong but I thought that the brown wire is related to the front stop switch. Is you bike front disk brakes or drums?

Are there any wires going to the front brake switch? Horn should be light green and black wires, or the horn may just not work (try wiring it straight to a battery to test).

It sounds like it may be a good idea to just sit down with the bike on a weekend and re-do all the wiring connections one by one and circle-slash them on a large color printout of the wiring diagram.

Otherwise you will be going around in circles.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Brown wire serves a couple of purposes on the Honda twins. It powers both the parking light located within headlight bucket and it also sends power to the tail light.

I concur with the idea that the gauge lights might be hooked up incorrectly. There's a mess of wires up there, but the process is fairly simple: Ensure that everything is plugged into its own color. There shouldn't be anything unplugged or anything plugged into a different color than itself. Once you square that away, then it might be time for new bulbs.

For the solenoid, run a quick test to ensure the starter motor is functioning. Make sure you bike is in neutral and then grab a wrench and hold it firmly across the studs on the solenoid. There might be some sparks but the starter motor should turn over. If not, you might have bad cables or a bad starter motor. If it does turn over then the mostly likely culprit is a shoddy connection in your handlebar control that is preventing enough current from fully activating the solenoid. I fought that particular problem for days on the CX I currently own. You might also benefit from a dedicated ground wire from your bars to the bike frame, depending on your year.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Good thing about Honda's is they use a color code on their harnesses. As long as someone hasn't hacked it up its plug and play without a schematic. There a few colors under the tank that can get mixed up as well as in the headlight because of how the headlight and charging system work, mainly yellow/white.

Get a cheapo multi-meter from walmart set it to ohms and go test if you need to, make sure things are plugged in correctly first and go from there.

The starter will need a good solid 12 volts to turn over, it will also need the cables connected correctly and it needs the ground cable from the battery connected to clean metal on the engine casing.

If you havn't found one already this schematic is pretty decent. Keep in mind that there are changes to the system in mid 75 as they added a starter lockout if the bike is in gear. Anything after the middle of 75 will have this function.

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/attachments/32935d1391988269-cb360-wiring-diagram-cb-cj-cl360.jpg

·
Registered
633 Posts
What year is your bike? You may well have the daytime riding lights which are in the indicators which light all the time except when the indicator is switched on when the opposite side indicator light will extinguish but the switched side will flash properly. There was also a diode in the loom to extinguish the always on headlight when you pressed the starter switch. You have to hold in the clutch lever at the same time when you start the bike with the electric starter.
Find out the year of your model and get the wiring diagram for that year and your market. It’s fairly easy to identify your indicator circuit as it will have three wires; one orange, and one orange and white; and green in the left side, corresponding but light blue on the right.
The green and Red wire goes to the clutch switch when you follow the correct wiring circuit diagram it’s self explanatory
HTH
Nigel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Bike is a 1974 cb360 with front disc brake.

I have an exam coming up but this week I will take your advice and get back to you. I did notice there were a lot of different colored connections within the headlight lamp, but they mostly seemed to line up with my Clymer diagram. It does look like someone tinkered with the wires to the signal lamps.

I have a shop manual so I'll take a look at how to check the neutral switch and take off the indicator light assembly cover. Also I'll check the starter motor with the wrench although it used to fire no problem, although intermittent.

I'll report back in a few days and let you know what I found.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Many ppl tend to gloss over the turn signal hookups but once you get them going you'll often find some other problems solved. Report back when you can having taken all this excellent advice.

Oh and PICTURES PLEASE :)

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Bike is a 1974 cb360 with front disc brake.

I have an exam coming up but this week I will take your advice and get back to you. I did notice there were a lot of different colored connections within the headlight lamp, but they mostly seemed to line up with my Clymer diagram. It does look like someone tinkered with the wires to the signal lamps.

I have a shop manual so I'll take a look at how to check the neutral switch and take off the indicator light assembly cover. Also I'll check the starter motor with the wrench although it used to fire no problem, although intermittent.

I'll report back in a few days and let you know what I found.
Look at the wires carefully, there are a couple that have white stripes and shouldn't plug where the solid colors go.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Another question, are the turn signals stock? I know the aftermarket signals usually come with red, black, and black/white wires which can lead to some installation issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Alright guys I got a chance to take a few pictures. I'm going to head back out while there's still some daylight and tinker some more. I'll take any more pictures at request

https://imgur.com/a/OGJYy

jd50i - looks like no striped to solid, but there is the odd orange to black connection in gallery.

krukster86 - I imagine turn signals are not stock because wires coming from are both black. I will try switching.

Sonreir - Wrench across terminals caused a spark but no motor response. I'll go look back over the wiring

I'll be back. I'll check the horn when I take out the battery tomorrow

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

Alright so here's what I found so far:

Neutral light works, bulb was just bad. As does headlight indicator. Also, horn is shot. Those are easy fixes.

I've been playing with the turn signal wires and I can't seem to find a happy medium. I can either have day lamps that will turn off when I hit the signal, or super bright that's always on. Turning the high beams on renders them functionless. Somehow these are related.

Also, the orange/orange/black was from the side lights.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Sonreir - Wrench across terminals caused a spark but no motor response. I'll go look back over the wiring
No need to worry about the wiring in the harness. If the wrench across the studs doesn't turn the engine over you're only looking at three possibilities:

1.) Battery is dead, dying, or too small. Not enough juice to run the starter motor.

2.) Cables from the battery and to the starter motor might be faulty. Bad ground strap might also be a problem.

3.) Starter motor is dead.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Also now I have even more questions? What are the skyblue/white and orange/white wires for? They connect to their respective side lamps, but there are no color codes in the Clymer wiring diagram? It says they should go to ground? Could it be from previous owner rewiring?
Those are not for ground, no. They're for the running lights. On your bike, the front turn signals are dual filament bulbs. If you're replacing the turn signals with aftermarket, most styles will no longer need these wires. Cap them off to avoid a short circuit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sonreir. Yes, you are correct. Took me a bit to figure that out. This is my update I was typing as you replied. Battery is brand new, currently at 12.8 V. I will looks at the wiring to the starter tomorrow.

"
Alright so here's what I found so far:

Neutral light works, bulb was just bad. As does headlight indicator. Also, horn is shot. Those are easy fixes.

I've been playing with the turn signal wires and I can't seem to find a happy medium. I can either have day lamps that will turn off when I hit the signal, or super bright that's always on. Turning the high beams on renders them functionless. Somehow these are related.

Also, the orange/orange/black was from the side lights.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Front signals should be ON/low when the headlight is on low beam and out when the headlight is on High. the HIGH function should only happen when you flip the signal for that side. If they don't flash that is most likely going to be found at the signal relay under the seat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That makes sense, thank you. Tomorrow i'll open up the signals to make sure they aren't LED. I have a new signal relay but the wire was ghetto soldered by previous owner so I'll trouble shoot tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Do pay attention to the wiring at the relay, there are 3 wires there, this is for if you happen to have a 3 wire relay, most bikes come or used a 2 wire relay. Plugging the wrong one in will blow fuses. If I remember correctly you don't use the green wire on the 2 wire types but its been a while since I've looked under the seat of my bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Do pay attention to the wiring at the relay, there are 3 wires there, this is for if you happen to have a 3 wire relay, most bikes come or used a 2 wire relay. Plugging the wrong one in will blow fuses. If I remember correctly you don't use the green wire on the 2 wire types but its been a while since I've looked under the seat of my bike.
Confirmed my bulbs are not LED. My relay just has two wires. I'll fuss with it tomorrow and let you know. Forgot to take out key like an idiot and drained battery.

Edit: Rain. I'll be at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Your bike is cursed. You should give it to me. Or, carry on.

Reactions: zig

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update:

The wires to the signal relay were pretty shoddy and corroded. I cut off a big chunk and put new bullet connectors in and *boom* signals worked correctly. Also put on a new horn and condenser. Now all the electronics I believe are fixed except for the electric starter.

I ordered a rebuild kit off c-m because i didn't see anything wrong with the ground wire. Also I can't kickstart the damn thing. I have spark so I'm gonna look at the points tomorrow or thursday.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts