Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
This is a log of my winter maintenance/updates to my daily rider, a 76' CB360T.

Last week I removed the air filters and cut out the nasty old paper element. In it's place I glued a 1/2 think piece of upholsterers foam, sprayed with filter oil. Not a bad mod considering it only cost me $5 and now I have a reusable filter. Or at least one I can replace for cheap.

IMG_4288.jpg
IMG_4289.jpg
566365973.jpg

Today I replaced the original crusty coils--on one I found some bare wire exposed--as well as my separate rectifier and regulator, with a combination unit from common motor.
I used a dremel to widen the mounting holes, and it fit right where the old regulator used to mount, on top of the tool kit storage. Pretty easy installation on both, aside from the fact that I mucked up one of the connectors while prying it out of the plastic plug--i refer to keep the older ones as they lock. Resolved it after stabbing a pick directly into the end of my finger.

IMG_4302.jpg
IMG_4301.jpg
IMG_4303.jpg
IMG_4300.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
A couple of mods well worth it on your bike, and you'll definitely benefit from both - good job. Stabbing your finger with a test light probe is a rite of passage in auto and bike electrical areas, so you got that one out of the way with the pick... :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting mod with the foam, is this a common trick to do?
I was resigned to going the pod route due to cost of parts over here in the uk but this is food for thought.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Interesting mod with the foam, is this a common trick to do?
I was resigned to going the pod route due to cost of parts over here in the uk but this is food for thought.
Oh yes, it is quite common due to the cost factor.
Search around the forum and you will find a few threads on how to do it!
Good luck.
Stay away from pods!

Reactions: Editor

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose it must be fairly common. I did a quick google search and found an article on this forum. I'll post it below.
I saw DSS has the filters for $32 but i still think that's high for a part that needs regular replacing. It's a fairly easy modification, just a little time consuming if you get obsessed with removing every last fiber of the old filter.

View attachment AirFilterArticle.pdf

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the info. Being a complete beginner, things like this will hopefully help to get the bike to a good running state before even thinking about anything cosmetic. Cheers guys.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I also put in my common motor rec/reg combo on the 350 this winter. Have to wait till spring to see how it went, but I too did not like the new connector as it didnt lock.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
I also put in my common motor rec/reg combo on the 350 this winter. Have to wait till spring to see how it went, but I too did not like the new connector as it didnt lock.
Just received mine this week.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Biggest noticeable issue with rebuilding filters with foam is they don't muffle the intake noise as much so you will get more of a throaty growl when on the throttle, the pleating in the old filters serves 2 purposes, increase filter surface area and provide angles for the sound waves to bounce off of and dissipate.

Personally, I like how they sound on my 450. ;) Highly recommend doing the rebuild to anyone.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Small round file will enlarge the holes to let it fit just right.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is that green foam flammable? I would be concerned if a backfire into the carbs could ignite the foam.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I could see foam pods catching fire from a backfire long before foam on the stock filter assemblies doing it - the stock assembly puts the foam a lot further from the venture, seems like it would be a lot less likely in that arrangement

·
Registered
29 Posts
These are little details that I would never think about, probably saved me looking like i had Elon Musks flame thrower firing out of my back end :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
made some progress! Wheels are off for new tires. Doing seals and bearings while I'm in there as there is some play in my rear wheel. (Bronze swingarm bushing on the way form Germany as well) Front is finished with little angst other than the removal of the retainer ring which I marred pretty badly with a drift. For anyone doing this, look for the punch marks! drill them out with a 1/16" drill bit 1/16" down, it will come right off. Found that hot tip on this forum of all places. Once that was off I knocked out the old bearings with a drift. froze the new ones, heated the hub with a torch and they went in easy enough. I also cleaned up the retainer ring with a file to hide my shame.
IMG_4308.JPG
IMG_4323.JPG
IMG_4311.JPG
working on a means of removing the rear retainer, and open to suggestions.

While I had access to the rear axle I used it to remove my charging rotor. In the end it worked quite well, but i was pretty stressed about how much force it took to pop it off. I also broke the handle off my oem screwdriver that came with the bike! I'm not thrilled about it, but it seems I must always sacrifice something to the gods of tinkering before I have any success.
To removing the 14mm nut I wedged a penny in the primary gears. I recommend using an older penny, they can take the abuse. The first one I tried broke in half!
At any rate the new hotshot rotor from Rick's is now installed. I'll post a pick of the new rotor later, but my phone died while working.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did not. I haven't taken the bike out since doing the filters, although this winter has been mild enough. I did fire it up in my work space though and it didn't seem to be much difference, other than a little more snarl from the intake noise. I'll give a full report once it's back on the road, but my understanding is no rejet necessary.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
The thing you will mess with is how much oil to put put in/leave in the filters. You will know when you have too much or too little based on what your plugs will look like.

Good ole' mashed pennies, I have few of those laying around somewhere too. I got my tail chewed years ago for using a pipe wrench on the end of the axle bolt, didn't break my screw driver though. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
swingarm sorted

Hey all, quick update. Bronze swingarm bushings arrived from Germany, so I set to work removing the old composite ones. I've done this once before on one of my dad's bikes, so I had some idea how awful it was going to be, but good god...the things I did to get those bushings out made my garage feel like a CIA black site two hours. Drift was just goobering them up. Hack saw blade made me too nervous to keep it up for very long, and I couldn't find a socket that would fit passed the bushings. In the end I managed to force a stack of washers in side on, and then flip them from the other side so they laid flat, then I dropped a smaller socket on top so i wouldn't bend the washers and bam three whacks they were out!
Even after freezing the bronze bushings and heating the swingarm, i wasn't able to "Pop" the new bushings in as so many seemed to have reported. Made a $6 press out of some rod stock and a few washers, and after sweating over a couple of wrenches for 10 minutes, the were in.
Everything is greased up and reinstalled.
Hardware store washers are the official MVP.
IMG_4452.JPG
IMG_4453.JPG
View attachment 272944
View attachment 272946

Sorry for sideways photos, not sure how to fix that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts