Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When sending off my box-o-parts to the powdercoater, I didn't know that I forgot to remove the swingarm bushings. They have to be scrapped as they got deformed in the process.

1. I see that there are eBay sellers selling bronze bushings in lieu of the plasticky Honda bushings. Is there a particular advantage/disadvantage to each?

2. How the F do you guys get the swingarm collar through these bushings? I could tell that it was a VERY tight fit upon removal of the collar, involving a punch and a hammer. I fear that installation the same way would break apart the Honda bushings, and with the brass aftermarket option, it seems like it would be more difficult...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I use the bronze bushings for all my bikes.
I've bought half a dozen sets from this seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB-2...-bronze-bushing-set-bearing-new-/282075118558
(Don't worry about them coming from Germany, shipping is quick and the seller is solid.)

If you had to use a hammer to remove your bolt and collar it's probably due to corrosion from lack of lubrication.
You should clean up the collar with some emery cloth and check the collar and bolt to ensure they aren't bent.
I've never had any fitment issues with the bronze bushings beyond a bit of sanding to ensure a smooth fit.
Having a set of calipers is useful for measurements when installing new bushings.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ordered! These give me more confidence than the Honda ones.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Bronze works even when you 'forget' to grease it but you do need a bit more care for initial fitting. Use a piece of 'allthread' plus some large washers to 'pull' them into position

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good. I plan to throw them in the freezer for a few hours to help get them to "shrink". I have much experience with the large washer compression tool when rebuilding my BMW's forks. BMW = Better make your own f**king tool.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use the bronze bushings for all my bikes.
I've bought half a dozen sets from this seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB-2...-bronze-bushing-set-bearing-new-/282075118558
(Don't worry about them coming from Germany, shipping is quick and the seller is solid.)

If you had to use a hammer to remove your bolt and collar it's probably due to corrosion from lack of lubrication.
You should clean up the collar with some emery cloth and check the collar and bolt to ensure they aren't bent.
I've never had any fitment issues with the bronze bushings beyond a bit of sanding to ensure a smooth fit.
Having a set of calipers is useful for measurements when installing new bushings.
CycleRanger,
How quick was your order processed? I haven't seen my status change from "payment sent" to "item shipped" yet.

·
Registered
272 Posts
CycleRanger,
How quick was your order processed? I haven't seen my status change from "payment sent" to "item shipped" yet.
Pretty quick. My stuff always arrived in a about a week. They've probably been sent already and he just hasn't updated the status. Probably.
If I recall you probably won't get a tracking number they are usually shipped Deutsche Post.
Don't worry, I've purchased a lot of stuff from him (for my Hondas and Yamahas) and I at least have always had a positive experience.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Speak of the devil, order status was updated around lunchtime to say it was shipped.

Reactions: CycleRanger

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brass bushings from Germany came in last night. I threw them in the freezer while I greased up the swingarm collar and bolts. Additionally, any shaft openings were cleaned out of gunk and buildup beforehand.

I must say that the freezer trick worked. I ended up not having to use my all-thread compressor "tool" and the bushings popped into the swingarm with just some hand-pressing. The collar and the bolt were easily pushed in once the swingarm holes were aligned with the frame holes.

Reactions: CycleRanger
1 - 10 of 10 Posts