Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so my battery was going flat regularly after I took the engine out to overhaul the top end and re-built. So I ordered a new Regulator/Rectifier from Sparck Moto and installed it. This didn't help. I re-spaded the junction box for the stator coil as the connections looked bad. This didn't change anything. I have checked the battery with a multimeter with the bike running and the voltage goes down when I rev. I also took a reading from the terminals in the four cables coming from the stator and none of them registered any voltage. My question is: what should I check now in order to solve this charging issue and get the alternator functioning again? Many Thanks, Hawksmoor

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
If you have a full service manual take the stater off and check it as per the manual. The first thing I do is set my meter on continuity and put the + lead on the wire coming from the stator and the - on the stator frame . if you get a reading its shorted out. Do one at a time. If no reading do the ohm checks.

Bill

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Re: 360 stator check.....

Re: 360 stator check.....

Are you checking for AC Voltages by reading across the possible pairs of wires, (Pink to yellow...Pink to white...And white to yellow?),or are you attempting to read from a wire to ground?​
Note that NONE of the other color wires should show continuity to ground, that would indicate a short in the windings....​
The Green with red stripe is for the neutral indicator switch and should not be considered......

Reactions: Bill H
1 - 5 of 5 Posts