Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to Honda twins. I have a 71 CB750 and a 74 CB360. The 360 is a recent purchase and after slapping a new battery, rebuilding the carbs and changing the oil, I got her fired up. Only thing that doesn't work is the starter motor.

So, being overly ambitious, I decide to yank the starter off, open it up, clean the brushes and see if I could get it working...

When the starter came out, the sprocket and chain have nothing left to hold them in position since the starter shaft is gone, and they dropped back into the case. I managed to fish them back up and have a dowel pin holding them in place temporarily. But how do I hold them in place when I go to stick the starter back in?

I'm hoping that I don't have to yank the alternator/starting chain cover off to put this thing back. I refuse to believe that Honda designed it such that you have to remove a case cover to change a starter. But Honda has surprised me before...

The good news is that after cleaning the brushes and putting the motor back together it bumps over violently! Nearly broke my wrist trying to hold onto it.

Thanks!

TJ

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Hate to break it to ya...... The left front case cover has to come off.... But, it's not a big deal, just drain oil or tilt bike to the right and lean it against something....pretty straight-forward....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I figured. Wonder if I'll be able to save that gasket...

Any way I can check to see if the starter clutch is working properly while its opened up? Or is that something that I should just replace anyway, because its right there?

Thanks for the quick reply!
TJ

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The big starter gear should only "spin" in one direction, it should "lock-up" and try to turn the crankshaft in the other.......It's a little more involved if you are going to disassemble the clutch from the crankshaft and rotor......But that will at least tell you if it works or not....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well....

Got the cover off, put the starter in its home. Chain and sprocket installed back on, haven't buttoned the case back up yet. Waiting on a new gasket and some button socket cap screws to replace those *%#$(#! phillips head ones.

I ran a jumper cable from the positive terminal to the post on the starter and it cranked the engine over with great vigor. So I hooked the starter lead up, yanked the plug wires so it wouldn't fire without any oil in it, flipped the ignition switch on and hit the starter button. Solenoid clicked once, then nothing. Nothing electrical is working now. Fuses all test good. No lights, no horn, no spark, nothing.

Maybe this is why the starter lead was disconnected when I got the bike?

Any chance that a dead short could have cooked my ignition switch?

Stuck solenoid and short in starter lead effectively shorting out battery completely?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I'm gonna yank the battery and call it a night. Time for a beer.

Thanks again,
TJ

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I did a little searching of the forums and decided to try checking my main ground connection and battery terminals. All of them were nasty so I cleaned them up a bit with some emory cloth. Put everything back together and everything seems to work again. All the lights are on, and the starter cranks over quite nicely. Should save my leg a little bit next time trying to start her up cold. I have no choke plates in the carbs, because one of them was completely broken off when I got the bike, so cold starts have been a serious chore. How does one go about breaking a choke plate anyway? Anyone have a spare they'll sell me?

Thanks again,
TJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts