Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I felt like taking off my starter because I wanted to save some weight and I never used it because kicking a bike over is so much more bad a$$.

All you need to so is:

1. Remove the starter and chain that goes to the crankshaft.

You'll notice this leaves a fairly large hole where the starter used to be. Don't fret because all you need to do is:

2. Go buy a dust cap for trailer hubs (1-25/36 is the size I used) and a tube of RTV silicone (hi-temp preferred)

With that done you just:

3. Clean out the hole of debris and oil.

4. Apply silicone liberally to the outside edge of the dust cap

5. push dust cap into the hole and give it a few hits with a hammer handle to seat it

6. Wipe up the extra silicone and you're done

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
If you wanted to play about in the garage you could use that space for a fabbed up tool case...you know, one that holds the important stuff like plugs and multi-metre and bulbs etc...

I've tried to figure a handsome way of chopping that top-front section of the engine side cover, so there would be know memory of the electric foot. But that could only look ugly I recon... :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
66Sprint said:
A rubber, expandable automotive "freeze-plug" works well and doesn't leave a large "bulge".......
It would, but I think this looks a little cleaner because I dont have the bolt head sticking out and the freeze plug might not be able to hold up to engine oil.

And that is a good idea about the tool case. I might have to look into that.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Been using the "freeze-plugs" for years...No problems with the oil... And the bolt/nut/washer goes INSIDE the cases...All you see from outside is a black rubber circle.....

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It's a good tip for those that may not be able to find the rubber variety they were speaking of. Tips are always welcome here!

EDIT: The oil cooler I posted was for a 450. Brainfart.. Sorry..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Sorry if I gave you the impression that your method was "second-rate"....I just wanted to offer another proven possibility.... ANYthing/method that works and suits the owner/rider is a good one..... Remember, I may know a lot about these bikes, BUT NOT EVERYTHING....I'm still learning too!.... Steve

·
Registered
146 Posts
leethal said:
If you wanted to play about in the garage you could use that space for a fabbed up tool case...you know, one that holds the important stuff like plugs and multi-metre and bulbs etc...

I've often thought the same thing...and since I have no less than 3 cruddy starter motors and one less than perfect starter clutch I think that might be another project for my rebuild.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but is it mandatory to remove the chain and whatever else is behind the case cover? I pulled off the starter for a few pounds of weight savings and a cleaner look, and would prefer not to have to drain the brand new oil.

Also, I just pulled the end cap off the starter and bolted it back onto the engine as a cover for the hole left by the starter.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
SamS said:
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but is it mandatory to remove the chain and whatever else is behind the case cover? I pulled off the starter for a few pounds of weight savings and a cleaner look, and would prefer not to have to drain the brand new oil....YES, otherwise the small sprocket and chain may damage your alternator.... If you tilt the bike to the right, oil loss is negligable, and you can leave the starter clutch sprocket in place (just remove the small sprocket and chain).....

Also, I just pulled the end cap off the starter and bolted it back onto the engine as a cover for the hole left by the starter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
motoguy23 said:
The other day I felt like taking off my starter because I wanted to save some weight and I never used it because kicking a bike over is so much more bad a$$.

All you need to so is:

1. Remove the starter and chain that goes to the crankshaft.

You'll notice this leaves a fairly large hole where the starter used to be. Don't fret because all you need to do is:

2. Go buy a dust cap for trailer hubs (1-25/36 is the size I used) and a tube of RTV silicone (hi-temp preferred)

With that done you just:

3. Clean out the hole of debris and oil.

4. Apply silicone liberally to the outside edge of the dust cap

5. push dust cap into the hole and give it a few hits with a hammer handle to seat it

6. Wipe up the extra silicone and you're done
Or,... you could place an oil cooler in that location and wouldn't have to go though all that trouble.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
I make my own, prettier and lighter than all the others :lol:

This is in a spare CB350 case I use to make sure size is good.
Weight usually less than 1.25oz with 'O' ring screws and wave washers :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
I make a similar aluminum plug but machine it with an interference fit and press it in with a little locktite...no securing hardware or oring needed.
raced that way for years and never had one move at all

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.