Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to motorcycles, I'm not sure if how mine shifts is normal.
Coming to a stop and downshifting into 1st gear, sometimes the shift lever seems to bottom out without going all the way into first. It's made a little more confusing by the fact that my green neutral light only works intermittently, especially when downshifting, so I'm not sure when I've reached neutral.
If the lever has bottomed out and I'm in neutral, releasing the clutch lever for a second (turning the gears in the transmission to a new position, I suppose) allows it to drop into 1st, with a little bit of a clunk. I think I've adjusted the clutch properly, but maybe it could be fine tuned a little.
Maybe this is normal for motorcycles of this vintage.
A fellow told me not to mess with the neutral switch, as I'd be just as likely to destroy it as improve it, because it's about 35 years old. But I've got a delicate touch with fragile stuff, so I'd consider taking it on. Not sure exactly where it is.
Once again I'd appreciate the perspective of y'all experienced wrenchers. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more note: The shifting into 1st is most stubborn when the bike is completely stopped. If it's still rolling, it'll usually make it into 1st with a little clunk. Because the neutral light often doesn't work when downshifting, that clunk is the way I know I've made it into 1st.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
If your clutch is set properly, then all is well.....these are old machines after all. The hard shifting at stop is common with many bikes of this vintage (my XS650 for example). I think it is because of the clutch pushrod set-up.

I dont really know why manufacturers contrived such a messy clutch actuator.....cable on one side of the engine and clutch on the other......just more space for heat expansion to affect things really....

I set my clutch lever so that when the engine is cold there is next to zero free-play.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
bentley said:
One more note: The shifting into 1st is most stubborn when the bike is completely stopped. If it's still rolling, it'll usually make it into 1st with a little clunk. Because the neutral light often doesn't work when downshifting, that clunk is the way I know I've made it into 1st.
When the bike is stopped you may need to roll it a little to get it into first. Also, release and resqueeze the clutch. Good Luck with the bike and ride safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts