Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Today I tried to see if my neutral #10 ball was causing my transmission to not go into second gear. I pulled the number 10 ball out and low in behold, the transmission click above second. As I ran through the gears, all of a sudden the shifter lever stopped actuating the shift drum and now the shifter lever is not doing anything. The transmission is completely drained of oil, could this be causing the issue ? Could my clutch be causing the issue ? I doubt this, however, my clutch is not adjusted properly, but would this cause problems with the shift lever not clicking through gears ?

Please help a newbie out,
Thanks !

·
Registered
554 Posts
Was the engine running when you tried shifting? My transmission is grumpy about shifting around without things running, though it has no problem doing so when the engine is going. Also, this sounds like a related issue to the one you posted before - best to keep things in the same thread so that we can track back against the context. I'm not a mod, but someone should be able to put it back into your other post.

EDIT:

You did put the ball back into the clutch mechanism, right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was the engine running when you tried shifting? My transmission is grumpy about shifting around without things running, though it has no problem doing so when the engine is going. Also, this sounds like a related issue to the one you posted before - best to keep things in the same thread so that we can track back against the context. I'm not a mod, but someone should be able to put it back into your other post.

EDIT:

You did put the ball back into the clutch mechanism, right?
I put the ball back into the clutch mechanism, but I was attempting to shift it without the ball in, and it was working. I did not try it when the engine was running, should I try that ? I mean when I press the shift lever, like it doesn't click through the gears even when I manually turn the wheel, you still recommend that I just try and put oil in it and see what happens ? Sorry about the split threads, I will delete the previous one, but this makes me question whether my shift forks are damaged because as soon as I removed the ball, the tranny shifted fine.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It sounds to me like your transmission is A-OK, if it was shifting without the ball. You do need the ball in there, though - without it, the clutch pushrod can bind and cause issues, and you may start getting the clutch-pop that you'll hear about with 360s. Missing ball bearing is a common cause of that.

Did you adjust the clutch after you pulled and replaced the ball? I'd be betting on a clutch problem right now. Our very own sprint66 has a great clutch adjustment writeup here, it's a 5 minute job: http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/48-engine-discussion/8701-350-360-clutch-adjustment-procedure.html

I'd do that first and foremost. Once you're sure you can disengage the drivetrain using the clutch, I think a running bike might be the next troubleshooting step. With the rear wheel off the ground, of course ;-)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also should mention that the bike is currently stuck in gear, like I can't get it to shift down which is a bit of a problem for starting the bike. I am worried that since I was shifting without putting it back in, I may have caused some problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spirograph, would you say put the ball back in, and adjust the clutch ? After this I should be able to click back down to neutral ?

·
Registered
554 Posts
That speaks to a clutch problem as well - the ball will only affect clutch engagement, not shifting/transmission. Gotta address why the clutch won't disengage first.

The basic operation is
-You pull the clutch lever
-The clutch cable pulls that disk in the left rear engine cover up -> the ball-bearing plate slides along those sloped ramps and presses the #10 bearing against the plate
-The plate presses against the clutch pushrod, which pushes the clutch plates and separates them, disengaging the crank from the transmission

No matter what, you need to be able to disengage the clutch to shift, and it sounds like right now that's not happening correctly.

·
Registered
554 Posts
That would be where I'd start, definitely. If you're still having trouble from there, we've at least addressed the clutch issue and we're sure that's not impacting your shifting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, put the ball back in, and the gears are back. Only thing is the shift lever is a bit sticky, any idea on what would be causing that ? Also, I will adjust the clutch too before I do a test ride today.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hate to make you keep opening the damn thing up :D did you clean out the old grease and regrease the mechanism the ball goes into? Might be causing the sticking if it's too dry. Could also be a clutch cable lube issue. Is it sticking open (like not closing all the way)? It might be that the adjustment is still a little off - you can use the cable end of the adjustment to tighten it up a bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, new problem guys, rode it today, engine runs strong, hell started in a single kick after not being started for two weeks. The bad news next, the bike won't shift into second with the clutch, but interestingly I tried shifting without the clutch and I got it to run up all the way to 4th gear before I ran out of room in my neighborhood. The shifter even returned to center, any idea what the problem could be ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, new problem guys, rode it today, engine runs strong, hell started in a single kick after not being started for two weeks. The bad news next, the bike won't shift into second with the clutch, but interestingly I tried shifting without the clutch and I got it to run up all the way to 4th gear before I ran out of room in my neighborhood. The shifter even returned to center, any idea what the problem could be ?[/QUO

So I put the bike on the center stand today and in first and second gear, with the bike running the wheel was moving with the clutch held in, but as I got further up, the wheel would not move with the clutch held in, I am super confused and need help. The Engine runs strong, I am running Pamco's electronic ignition so the bike starts super smooth, but this transmission problem is killing me.

BUMP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts