Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello from Atlanta! Just bought another one. 1974 CB360. Just about everything needs attention, but rather than a restore, I am going to slightly alter appearance in cafe style. Maybe a blackout motif.

Title should get done this week. Then a tank purge, starter wiring, and test firing. More to follow. Glad to be on Honda Twins.

DSC_0279.jpg
DSC_0297.jpg DSC_0294.jpg DSC_0283.jpg DSC_0283.jpg DSC_0281.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I am a recently added new member, I thought I might add that I have been riding, rebuilding, and fixing motorcycles for over 40 years. I am an engineer with a long time career in aircraft reliability work. So I have a real affinity for the work performed by other members in their pursuit of maintaining these fine old motorcycles. It is a pleasure to see the pride and expertise exhibited by other owners on this site.

One of the tasks I learned how to perform awhile back was to refurbish grody metal parts. I use a Roloc bristle pad on a 90-degree angle grinder for these tasks. By applying this tool to corroded metal, I am able to remove decades of neglect from MC parts.

The attached picture is a Before & After of the header pipes from my '74 CB360. I assure you that both headers looked the same before the initial polish. Fun, fun!

View attachment 274334

·
Registered
493 Posts
Welcome from Georgia, that attachment didn't work for me.

But sure would like to learn a little more about polishing these metals.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Significantly better, to say the least - now you should get them ceramic coated, it will help cover the rough spots remaining

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
New update: Right Hand Switch Problems

I have some issues and I want to know if someone else here has solved this one before...look at the two pictures below.

IMG_6512.jpg IMG_6514.jpg

The right hand switch does not work, all of the contacts are corroded. I cannot get continuity on the OFF-RUN-OFF switch. So I removed the switch and wired the Black-2-BlackWhite wire.

Now turn to the OFF-ON switch. There are 5 wires attached to the switch bridge: Top White & Yellow; Bottom: BlackRedStripe, BrownBlueStripe, and Black.

I want to connect the other wires together so I can at least get the thing to turnover and I can check the spark. How do i connect these 5 wires together?

Yes, I have been reading the manual and the wiring diagram. But I would appreciate some insight if you have it to share.

Thanks.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Black to Black/White allows engine to fire......

The five wires on the "bridge" are for lights and alternator "boost" when lights are on...Not necessary to run...

Yellow with Red stripe is the solenoid connection, and depending on bike's year either gets {power (B+) from a Black wire}, or [gets grounded (B-) to the handlebar] to activate the solenoid....

·
Registered
13,085 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, I need some help. The coils that arrived on the CB360 are not stock. The coils have two small wires one blue and one black w/ white stripe, and of course, the plug wire. These look a lot like they might be the same model sold by Common Motor Collective, but I have no papers on this. Does someone have an idea on which wire goes to the points, and which one goes to the Run switch?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I bought coils with the same color wires - the black/white goes to switched power from the kill switch, the blue wires go to the points. Just be sure that the "left" blue wire is connected to the left set of points

1 - 16 of 16 Posts