Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Bit of a backstory... My girlfriend bought a 1974 cb360 in October 2015, it is a T model with the disk up front with 12,000mi on the clock and a slow oil leak. She drove it a bit in the fall, then we stabilized the fuel and put it in the building for the winter. This spring we decided to do an oil change and fix that leak (Right side cover gasket,) while we were in there we cleaned the screen and the centrifuge. The screen had a few chunks in it, nothing major, and the centrifuge had an 1/8th of an inch of metallic sludge.

We finished up, cleaned up the floor and found this bushing(?) https://imgur.com/a/0hZWE so we pulled the cover back off, tried to fit it on the centrifuge support shaft on the case cover, but no luck. It did fit on the gear that run the filter assembly, but with the bushing on the shaft the cover would not seat anymore. All the schematics I have found don't show any sign of this part, and it could be just something from my bike or just something left on the shop floor from another project. Who knows, But the wear on the inside of the part (as you can see in the pics) has me worried. We buttoned the bike back up and fired it up, and everything seemed to work fine, no low pressure light, no extra or bad noises.

We don't mind opening it back up if we need to, but we are looking more or less for some peace of mind,

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
764 Posts
its been ions

What did you take off to do this job, exhaust, k/start, footpeg???

Are you sure its from the inside??

see cmsnl schematics/exploded views...

shaft and gear has washer???

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey Ben & Lauren,
I have the same model bike as you, and just took off the right crank case last weekend. Before you get too exited I didn't see a part similar to that fall out of mine. BUT there are a few diagrams in the service manual. If you have a pair of calipers (I dont' have a Canadian dime so I'm not sure how big that is) and measure the ring we might find where it came from.
LowerCrankDiagram.jpg (this is a sample picture not an answer for what the part is)

On a related note I wanted to ask you how you managed to get the centrifugal oil filter off? I took the snap ring out and the darn thing wouldn't budge. Did you use a tool? Did yours slide right out?
Centrifugal_Oil_Filter.png
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think I found where your part is from!

So when I took my crank case apart the gasket over hung the metal seals filling in space on the right side so when I pulled off the case the "Oil Pump Idle Gear" moved out on the "Oil Pump Idle Shaft". When I put it all back I had to make sure that the gear was aligned again. I noticed that inside the outer case there was a hole that the shaft fit into. I BET this is where your part came from. Look to see if it is still there or on the end of the shaft.

Here is a picture:
Oil Pump and Filter.jpg

If this isn't it, don't worry: If you let me know how to take the centrifugal filter apart I can take mine apart early next week (going away for the vacation weekend) and take a bunch of pictures to find where it goes.

Good luck, and let us know if you solved it,
Steve

·
Registered
764 Posts
I believe there is a slotted nut ( 4 slots ) recessed into the centri filter body, with a locking tab, if my memory is right.

Looks so in the pictures.

A ready made tool is available and not that expensive.

Has your slotted nut been "butchered "??

When the nut and locking tab are off the centri filter body should slide off the splines on the crank.

Just cannot remember, has clutch basket a similar slotted nut our is that circlipped on??

cmsnl will show detail.

Clutch baskets can get real dirt inside, the inner side of the fingers collect and hold dirt/clutch debris.

CANADA, did you flush out all the crap on the sump floor, as well as in nookes and cranies??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Drydreamer - We removed the kick start, foot peg, muffler and head pipe (out for repair), we are not sure if it infact from the internals (we hope not) or not. The idler gear was on the shaft, and there was a thin black washer on the idler gear. Yes we cleaned out the base of the case as best we could, first with a rag for the bigger chunks, then with a clean rag and some varasol for the smaller stuff.

Steveolio - I dont have a set of calipers here but it is 16mm-OD 10mm-ID 3mm-thick (best I can do with a tape). As far as i can remember, there was a sealed roller bearing inside the case for the idler shaft when I put it back together, although these parts do look very similar! As you can see in the first pic, it looks like whatever was inside of this bushing didn't go all the way through, more like 99% of the way. There is a tiny lip on one side of it.
As for the centrifuge, its simple to remove (once I found this trick on the net), first remove the snap ring then just take one of the case bolts and thread it into the center of the filter, when the bolt bottoms out keep threading it in and it will back the filter out nice and squarely!

Thanks everyone for your help so far!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet this is a photo I found on the internet of the right side case... The bushing I have looks like the center of the centrifuge filter... I wonder if this is it.

Steveolio- If you get your cases off before I do, can you check the size of that unit? and see if it is loose/would have ever fallen out? the more I see it the more I think that may be it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Will do.
Mine was pretty securely in there, I pulled on it to try to get the centrifugal filter cap out. I'll check again when I get it out. Thanks for the removal tip.
I'm concerned about the state inside because my oil screen was relatively clean as well but you said there was sludge in the centrifugal filter.
I JUST put new oil in the bike, do you think I can recycle that somehow? If I open the crank case I'll loose all the oil again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If we have to open the side case again, we will be draining the new oil into a clean bucket and re-using it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not sure what to call it but could it be part of the piece/ coupling that is in the side case which the oil strainer mates up to. Not shown on the parts list. It will be for the oil passage which runs from the strainer thru the side case to the head. Sorry for not knowing the proper nomenclature, but hope this helps. This part is normally captive in the side case and semi spring loaded via a retainer. If the retainer has exited the scene it will fall out. Look here. CB360 oil system modification

·
Registered
764 Posts
If you dont want the bother of removing the centri filter body ( and the slotted nut is on tight and locked ) then, fit something into the crank hole to stop any filtered debris form entering the crank, but make sure that you can get it out afterwards.

Make out of cardboard or similar a "guard" to channel the flow of the debris away from the rest of the engine.

Use a solvent and probe to remove most of the debris, then finish debris removal with a gentle solvent spray, until all the debris is washed away.

Remove the guard, crank hole plug and re assemble.

The crank hole is clear and not blocked?? or lined with debris??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anybody figured this out? I am in the same situation. Here is a picture of the bushing inside my crankcase cover, the idle shaft (with the washer still on there), and the only other thing it looks like it could go to.

crankcase_cover.jpg

idle_shaft.jpg

other_thing.jpg

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts