Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, new to bikes and forums in general. Recently got my first bike which is a '74 CB360T, I believe, that had an engine swap with the one from the '76 CL360 - the scrambler.

I figured it was worth making a new post since there's a couple variables there.

Right now when I turn the bike on, all the electricals work, except for the turn signals and the horn.

Let's start with the turn signals. Either when the key is turned, or the bike is on, neither side front or back turn on or blink. I can't hear a clicking either, but granted I haven't put my ear up to the thing when the bike is on. Both beams on the headlight and the brake light works.

I've been poring over the manual on this, but since I have no electrical experience, I figured I should post something since I don't even know much about the currents flowing through the wires - if they're dangerous on a bike or not.

Haven't tried much with the horn yet, so if you ignore that part I don't blame you.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Find the turn signal flasher and unplug the wires. Check the black wire for 12 volts. Battery voltage at the black wire?, if so use a small piece of wire to connect the black and grey wire, with the wires connected the turn signals should light up(steady, not flashing) when you move the switch. If the lights work, change the flasher.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I would buy just the cheapest 12 volt tester available at your local hardware store/ parts store.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gave that one a shot - getting power from the black, but plugging it into the grey does not turn the lights on.

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
NO, But it should provide power all the way to the "directional" switch on the handlebar left-hand unit.....

YOU have to turn that one way or the other to turn the lights on.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could have specified, the key was turned on, and the blinker switch also turned on, current was running through the connecting wire, still no lights.

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Bulbs good?... Turn signal grounds plugged in?.....
IF you are getting power all the way to Orange and/or Baby-blue, it has to be one of those two things .....
IF power on gray, but NO power gets to Orange or baby blue...Bad switch .....

So much easier if you just phone..........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can check the other colors, thanks. There is a hanging ground wire. A green one not connected to anything. If it needs to be connected somewhere, I'm not sure where as it has the same kind of clip on the end as the others. I can try connecting a spare wire between that and the negative terminal on my battery maybe?

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
The ONLY dark Green wire on the bike that SHOULD be "hanging" disconnected comes out of the main loom with the Black wire and Gray wire for the flasher module.....
It will have a female Spade connection..... It can stay disconnected....
ALL ring and "bullet" Green wire terminals MUST be connected as the ground buss for the bike.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update, got the signals working. I had to go to work on the corrosion inside the spade connections. Lights turned on intermittently, so I borrowed some Coke from a passerby. Fun fact, Coke Zero doesn't work as well as regular Coke for cleaning corrosion. Does feel weird drinking the stuff after using it. The old flasher worked but very slowly, so I bought a new one and it's good as new.

Thanks for your help with that.

Still not sure about the horn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts