Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys, long time reader, first time poster. I have a 76 cb360. I was doing some spring tuning (after much fall modification). I was setting the timing to try and get my left cylinder to fire at idle. I thought it was air/fuel, but wanted to verify ignition timing first. Last fall I updated the bike with the new high-output charging system, anti-gravity battery 240 cca, mikuni carbs, pamco pickups with e-advance, dyna coils (1 per cylinder, and new plugs with the 5k resistance for the pamco. Bike starts easy, but runs on 1 cylinder. after 25% throttle both cylinders fire. While using my timing light, i verified I'm not getting spark at idle (left cylinder). What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Will try and get back to you. Pilot jet was just installed last week. I have the VM30s which I am told can be a little rich for my bike, so I have a few extra jets which run leaner than the VM30s come stock. New gas in the tank, good filters. BTW since these mods, this bike has run better than it ever has since I got it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swapped plugs, left one was wet as expected since no fire at idle. Right looked good. Wire brushed both while keeping track of which plug was which. Installed right plug on left side, and vice versa. Still no spark left side at idle. At 25% I get both cylinders firing.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
It would take a pretty monstrous timing error to prevent firing and it would be unlikely to correct itself as the throttle was opened. I'm not familiar with the Pamco so can't say how it might provide spark on one side and not the other. Since you say the non-firing plug is wet you might consider the possibility that the mixture is too rich at idle. As you open the throttle it adds enough air to provide a burnable mixture. Just another wrench to throw in the gears.

·
Registered
555 Posts
My first answer to this is to take off the PAMCO. Mine failed such that the left side didn’t fire at all - putting the points back on narrowed it to the PAMCO as the issue. If it still doesn’t work, then you’ve eliminated that as a factor, but that’s been it every time I’ve given this advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So another wrinkle I forgot to mention. Pamco wants timing set up while the bike is running below 1,000RPM. It has a digital tach to calculate advance (e-advance). So I had to set timing at idle. Timing light worked on right side. Not on left side. Opened the throttle a little, timing light comes on. Took plug wire off and put it next to a fin, and that’s how I set timing for my left cylinder. I checked plug gap. Both plugs are at spec. At this point I would guess too much compression? It’s weird that with less dwell, the coil starts firing. Maybe I should check into what the primaries are doing at idle.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If there’s no fire impulse through your lamp when the left cylinder should be firing, it isn’t getting any power through the coil from the PAMCO. If you connect the right side signal wire to the left coil, do you get a strobe through the lamp on the left fire? If so, your PAMCO is bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts