Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some of the mikesxs coils for my 76 360. I have been trying to find a way to mount these and install them. There have been a few posts about making a plate or mounting bracket of some sort. My question is could I use something as simple as some zip ties or hose clamp of some sort. I know it wont look as professional but I figure these are up under the tank and most people wont ever see them. If anyone knows of any problems with this let me know. The other question is how are the coils grounded I'm heving a hell of a time with the wiring diagram and it looks like they are grounded in at the contact breaker, but not sure if Im reading this right or not. Or were they grounded at the mounting plate? Thanks again for any help I know this topic has been talked about over and over but never could find the answers to these 2 questions.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
caseygram said:
I just bought some of the mikesxs coils for my 76 360. I have been trying to find a way to mount these and install them. There have been a few posts about making a plate or mounting bracket of some sort. My question is could I use something as simple as some zip ties or hose clamp of some sort. I know it wont look as professional but I figure these are up under the tank and most people wont ever see them. If anyone knows of any problems with this let me know. The other question is how are the coils grounded I'm heving a hell of a time with the wiring diagram and it looks like they are grounded in at the contact breaker, but not sure if Im reading this right or not. Or were they grounded at the mounting plate? Thanks again for any help I know this topic has been talked about over and over but never could find the answers to these 2 questions.
The coils are grounded via the mounting plate which connects to the original coil bracket, which is grounded by a green wire that connects to the frame. Making this metal mounting plate should be easy with a hacksaw and a drill. I will try to find a picture of it on my external HD

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Zip ties are fine if you want...Just NOT the most secure on a vibrating machine... The core does NOT need to be grounded for the 350/360/450 (and Mikes XS) coils to function properly........B+ power goes directly to both primary and secondary windings.....The primary grounds at the points, secondary through the spark-plug.... DO ground the ring terminal on the harness green wire though....

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
I made the plate with countersunk holes/screws into the stock mount bracket, it was easy, but I had some aluminum laying around.

Zip ties will get fragile and break, but it'll work for a while.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Sharkmonkey said:
I made the plate with countersunk holes/screws into the stock mount bracket, it was easy, but I had some aluminum laying around.

Zip ties will get fragile and break, but it'll work for a while.
Mine is like this and kruks.

·
Registered
703 Posts
No you need a couple of metal strips with some mountin holes in em.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
BTW.... I was NOT recommending using zip-ties, I was pointing out that you could BECAUSE the core does not need to be grounded..... Secure mounting is always preferable.... ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I too am looking into coils for a 360 and am trying to fully understand what is needed. do I have to use two single tower coils or can I use and dual tower coil to replace? also, I notice ohm ranges from about 3 to about 5, What is ideal for the 360? Also, anyone have an electronic ignition set up they are running and like? I'd like to find one that requires a minimum of mods to work on the 360.

Thanks for any advice here!!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
A 180* engine requires two separate coils..... A 360* engine (or any engine that fires 360* apart) can use a twin lead single coil.... Two sets of points= two coils

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Brown is the positive lead....Goes to Honda Black/white....
Orange (or gray) goes to point

1 - 14 of 14 Posts