Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly frustrated with the old bike now.
I got her licensed and on the road last week - but with only a couple of rides on her she has decided to stick in first gear and only move up to neutral.
This made it fairly difficult to ride her home on one of the rides i went on. I managed to stop the bike and get it into 2nd gear. From there on it is fine and can move on through the gears as normal.

Anyway, today i stripped her back and removed the crankcase and other covers to look for the problem with my gears. Clutch operates /disengages fine.
I have found that on one of the gear shafts, the 20mm needle roller bearing has a dowel that is flush (or countersunk) too far into the case so that it does not stop the needle bearing from moving and therefore the gears associated with that gear cluster are able to move 1/4 inch (for you US guys!) or about 4 - 5 mm. This makes it hard to shift gears as you can imagine.
So has anyone replaced one of the little steel dowels before?
On the other gear cluster the dowel is fine - it sits proud of the case and can hold the bearing.

Here is a pic of the dowels in question - from the manual.

[attachment=0:yck0ntsq]dowels.JPG[/attachment:yck0ntsq]

Hoping you learned ones can throw some advice my way?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
This can happen when the cases get put back together and the bearing might move when the case halves are put together. The bearing mashes the dowel pin into the case.

You need to get the dowel out and the only way I know to do that is to drill in from the back of the dowel. After that, you can use a punch to push the dowel out then use something like JB Weld to fill in the hole so it doesn't leak (or you can weld it).

I did this on a 450 case and it works fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike.
I will try to drill the underside of where the dowels sits out - any tips on how to do this?

Cheers
Matt

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
baregrills said:
Thanks Mike.
I will try to drill the underside of where the dowels sits out - any tips on how to do this?

Cheers
Matt
I thought I had some pictures when I did mine but I can't find them. I'll try to discribe. Find the little "bump" on the case where it looks like the pit goes. Use a center punch and make a spot to drill. You might have to dill at a little bit of an angle. You only want to drill through the case until you break through. Under the dowel there will be a small gap before the bottom of the dowel. After you drill the hold just use a small punch to tap the dowel pin out or tap it as far as you need to get it as far out of the case as necessary.

When you have the dowel where it needs to be then fill the hole with JB Weld.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just thought id let you know how i got on with this issue.
Thanks to Mike who gave me the tips on how to do it. ;)

I used a 2.5mm drill bit to drill a small hole on a 45 deg angle on the other side of the crankcase.
Then i cut a small bit of pop rivet that was slightly smaller than 2.5mm and gently, gently, tapped it with a punch until it popped the dowel out of the hole.
I have ordered some JB weld and will now fill in the small hole and it should lift the dowel up.

Now the next question is - how far up should the dowel stick out? :?:

Thanks all
Matt

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
baregrills said:
Just thought id let you know how i got on with this issue.
Thanks to Mike who gave me the tips on how to do it. ;)

I used a 2.5mm drill bit to drill a small hole on a 45 deg angle on the other side of the crankcase.
Then i cut a small bit of pop rivet that was slightly smaller than 2.5mm and gently, gently, tapped it with a punch until it popped the dowel out of the hole.
I have ordered some JB weld and will now fill in the small hole and it should lift the dowel up.

Now the next question is - how far up should the dowel stick out? :?:

Thanks all
Matt
Nice job, I just looked at one of the others to see where they suck up. I think about 1/8" ought to be about right but not so high that it doesn't let the bearing sit flush. Even if it's a little high, when you set the bearing in place and put the two halves together and tighten stuff down it should push the pin in (assuming you haven't put to much JB Weld in there.. Maybe do a trial fit before you use the JB Weld.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Guys how common is this issue for the cb 360? i have a 360 with only 3,000 miles and i havent got it started yet, due to a stuck piston ring.i have tried running threw gears with the bike off and i have the same issue it only goes to neutral and first gear.
i checked the clutch plates there fine but i never looked at the gears. i have the engine pulled out right know should i take a look at the gears to see if i have the same issue?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ariel,
I have not got it back together and tested it - yet.
I could not get it to change up from neutral - but i really dont know what was causing it.
When i started to dismantle it I found the bearing at the end of the cluster able to move out quite considerably - so i ASSUMED this could cause the stuck issue that i was having, as all the gears on this shaft could move along and not mesh together nicely.
Only when i get it back together will i know for sure.

Still - you have to start somewhere, i hope this is the problem. :shock:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well good luck I hope you did find your issiue.I bught my bike and it hasent been registerd since 82 it is unbelivable in what great condition this bike is. My only concern is why did it sit for so long,I'm wondering if there where any mechanical issiues with it due to it being. Putt to rest I mean what could possibly go wrong in 3,000 miles! You might be able to awnser this for me.
Would a stuck piston ring cause your bike not to shift?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update.
I jb welded the dowel hole and made sure the dowel was sticking up 2 - 3 mm.
The gears can change freely now!!! :cool: :)

BUT...while putting it back together i found that my cam chain tensioner had broken clean through - and the cam chain had been rubbing a bit on the tensioner adjusting arm :cry:
So i now need a new tensioner - and these are virtually extinct.
Can anyone out there suggest a place to get one?
I did find one on ebay - but so far he says that he only ships inside the US.
Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Look up hb honda motorcycles.com. if the parts is still made they can get it to you!
When you get to there page look up parts finder click on honda motorcycles and then look for your year and make,or email them and ask for parts mark good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts