Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I plan to have my rusty grimy old frame powdercoated in a few weeks. If I recall correctly, there should be some spots on the frame that should NOT be powdercoated to allow for grounding of attached electrical components. Can anyone help point out specifically where I need to indicate this to the powdercoating shop?

For some reason I recall that a ring of bare metal should be exposed around the frame surface where the ignition coils mounts penetrate through holes in the frame. Other than that, I would assume any "holes" in the frame should be left bare?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
You can scrap them after the powder coating is done.

Also Aircraft Stripper works well to remove Powder Coating.
You can Tape off places you don't want stripped to protect them.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Yendor!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any threaded screw or bolt that attaches to the frame is a possible ground point. I would simply be certain that you/the powder coater does a nice job of plugging all the holes. If you are upgrading/relocating anything in the electrical system you always have the option to drill and tap a new hole to add a grounding screw. I wouldn't think that you would want to leave anything uncoated...that's a potential waste of a powder coating effort as it would be a spot to introduce rust down the road. Also, I like to use lithium grease (spray or spread) where I can to seal from water getting into the frame (threads, etc.). It's a poor man's rust proofing. Might be overkill.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Take all ground bolts and leave them in tight, tell the power coaters to leave them in. Get some bulb grease and put it on the bolt threads, it keeps moisture out and paint won't stick to it. When it's done the bolt heads will be coated not the ground surface and it will look good. Most parts stores will have some brand of it, I get it from Wal-marts auto dept. It's made to put on light bulb bases to keep them from corroding. 3af7d289-a3db-46bb-9676-373b88b59fad_1.77c230cacd3d4ec10a48d9a5090ee5c6[1].jpg

Reactions: Bill H

·
Registered
288 Posts
I made these specifically for this purpose. Just a nail with a stop collar from Ace Hardware. I have different sizes for different size holes. Little piece of sandpaper glued on, chuck 'em in a drill, insert in the screw hole and sand off a nice round shiny spot for grounds ...which is what you need for grounds, clean bare metal. I use them on bike and car projects.

IMG_6477 by Bill Smith, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
When powdercoating with plugs they leave a ragged edge around the hole. I just coat then clean out the hole with a tap or a drill bit. That being said I like Steve 1 and Slofuts ideas.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts