Honda Twins banner

CB360: First Motorcycle and Restoration

10K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  krukster86 
#1 ·
I bought a 1974 CB360 a couple weeks ago and have been working on cleaning it up since. Unfortunately I live downtown and have to work A) in my apartment or B) on the roof of the parking garage.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Welcome! Good to have another 360 around :D

I too am surprised at the condition of your seat. Anytime I see one of these old bikes, it looks like the PO got hungry and took a bite out of the cover and the foam!

BTW where are you from?

#7 ·
I'm beginning to think that mine will be the last unfinished 360 on hondatwins....dude you're really flyin :shock: How long have you had it...2 weeks?
Did it run before you cleaned it up?

Lee

#8 ·
leethal said:
I'm beginning to think that mine will be the last unfinished 360 on hondatwins....dude you're really flyin :shock: How long have you had it...2 weeks?
Did it run before you cleaned it up?

Lee
Get at er. Mine's done. Im just waitin for my custom tank and seat. If anyone needs a pristine cb360 tank lemme know.

#9 ·
Thanks all, I am just doing a quick resurrection to make it suitable to ride in the city. For the seat, it was in great condition (including the pan) but the bike only has 5,000 miles on it. The spokes were a different story, I think I spent several hours sanding those to a somewhat shine and clearing to prevent further rusting. I painted the frame and related parts with primer and rustoleum paint, motor with duplicolor engine enamel, and the wheel hubs and forks with duplicolor wheel paint. I'm hoping to get my carb parts and fork seals this weekend to reassemble. It didn't run when I got it so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed after reassembly.

Jazon, what kind of pipes are those? I'm attempting to cut my stockers down, weld up some holes, and piece together a "custom" baffle.

Leethal, I read all of your bike build yesterday and it is unreal. The extra time and attention to detail will be well worth the wait.

#11 ·
Bone said:
Dirtbag said:
Get at er. Mine's done. Im just waitin for my custom tank and seat. If anyone needs a pristine cb360 tank lemme know.
How much do you want for it?
Not sure yet. It does have a scratch in the paint where the numbnuts before me slammed his bars into it. It's not dented though.

Whenever I replace it we'll talk. I'm keepin the petcock though.

#19 ·
This was discussed.... Those are part of the 'safety' switching that prevents e-starting unless the bike is in neutral, or if in gear, the clutch must be pulled in..... They were NOT connected on the 74 models in the US, although they are in the harness. In succeeding years, they were hooked up through a diode (also NOT on a 74)....Just ignore them....

#20 ·
I figured the diaphragm situation out, I don't know if this is common knowledge but for newbies like me it may help. I just "folded" the diaphragm inside out and dropped it right in. It was definitely not going in by trying to force the gasket into the groove "opened up the correct way".

I have those 2 wires as well and they are not connected to anything.

I have the bike completely reassembled less my ghetto exhaust that I need to doll up. I fired it up on starting fluid only and it wasn't getting any gas in the bowls. I removed the petcock and it was full of junk. I thoroughly cleaned/replaced the petcock and the fuel was flowing fine to the carbs. Restart and ran on starting fluid only again, no fuel accumulation in the bowls. I removed the carbs and installed new jets (slow jet was clogged badly) and valves from a Keyster kit, and adjusted the floats (they were at 25mm rather than 18.5mm). That is where I stand; I will reinstall the carbs and try to fire it up again to see if the issue is resolved.

#21 ·
Also, my crankcase bolts most have been torque'd down by a gorilla (slightly more than the recommended 8 lbs). I beat the he!! out of the impact driver and nothing. I don't want to torch them because my case looks so pretty. Has anyone else had this problem? Any recommendations?

#22 ·
cbrace0012 said:
Also, my crankcase bolts most have been torque'd down by a gorilla (slightly more than the recommended 8 lbs). I beat the he!! out of the impact driver and nothing. I don't want to torch them because my case looks so pretty. Has anyone else had this problem? Any recommendations?
Use my favorite tool

BLOW TORCH. You can always re-polish the case. It's magical.

#24 ·
I assume you mean the 6mm Phillips bolts .... Take a long 8 or 10mm bolt, place it on the phillips dome and SMACK it directly in with a hammer... (the Phillips "cross" should almost smash closed,... several decent Smacks may be needed)... Then drive a #3 Phillips driver into what left of the cross, and apply pressure to turn... It'll come right out.... (Junkyard impact tool #4)
You were going to replace them with Allen screws anyway.....

#25 ·
Excellent, I'll try that 66. I painted the case so I don't want to jack up the paint with heat. Well attempt #3 to get fuel in the bowls leads me to nothing. Absolutely nothing, not a drop of gas. I pulled the fuel lines off the carbs and a little fuel came out of the inlet on the carbs but the bowls are dry as a desert.

Now I've cleaned the petcock thoroughly, cleaned the carbs, installed carb rebuild kits, got one new diaphragm, and adjusted the float level and nothing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#26 ·
I know you mentioned that you cleaned the petcock, but have you verified that fuel is actually coming out of it. Also, not sure how much fuel you have in the tank, if its only a small bit, you may need to put the petcock on 'Reserve' in order to get it. The 'regular' setting wouldn't get to the gas if there is only a small amount there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.