Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The exhaust on my '74 CB360 is starting to split (plus previous owner tried to fix with welding) so I'm looking to install the Common-Motor exhaust. For the price its hard to beat.

Curious if anyone else has installed this specific exhaust. Any issues? My main question is will I need to re-jet the carburetor after installing the exhaust. Everything else on the motorcycle is stock.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Unless the length/volume on the new exhaust is significantly different than the old you'll likely be ok. Only way to really know is to do a series of plug chops after you put the new ones on. Many bikes of that vintage were never properly jetted in the first place.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The old term was "plug checks" but they mean the same thing - to check for proper jetting/fuel-air mixture at any particular speed, you have to reach that speed or rev range in an upper gear (to present some load to the engine, say 3rd or 4th) and then pull the clutch in, hit the kill switch immediately and coast to a stop so the spark plugs will not fire while slowing down, which would alter the color of the plugs from the mixture they were burning at the rev range/throttle position you're trying to check. Coast to the side of the road (safely, of course), pull a plug and see what the color is to determine if the rev range (or throttle position) is getting the proper amount of fuel

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
That's the general idea. First get the bike thoroughly warm, stop, and put in a new set of plugs, then put in another new set of plugs between each check. Do the first check at slow speed and lower gear, maybe 1/4 throttle so you're running on the slow jets. Second check around 1/2 throttle in high gear, checking the primary main jet. Third check ideally at WOT or as close to it as you can sustain safely, checking the secondary main jet. All assuming 3 jet carbs of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts