Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Before I begin I'd like to thank everyone for the help and advice. Im about to start the replacement of my pistons and jugs of my 1976 cb360. I bought a set of Wiseco pistons and had the jugs bored to match by Bill Bune machine shop. I also had my valves lapped seated and new beehive springs installed by Bill. Having never done this kind of work on any engine I'd like some advice on how to do the installation. Is it as easy as installing the rings on the pistons and slipping in the wrist pins or do I need to measure and check clearances. Im a cnc machinist so im confident that I can take any measurements needed but have no idea as to what I might need to check. Thanks for reading and any help/advice offered.

·
Registered
514 Posts
For me.....I file the transition edge from bevel to bore so it’s nicely rounded.

i use worm drive hose clamps of proper size where I’ve kinked the band around the diameter so the kink reaches outside the barrel and the rings lightly compressed.

With the pistons supported on their skirts, the jug should gently rock in place on down.

Dont forget any rags left behind & base gasket, or circlips omitted!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Tooting my own horn here:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Nice video. Was that karate or some other form of martial arts you used for installing the cylinders?
TOOLS

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Yeah cylinder-fu

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What were you checking with the feeler gauge?

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
What were you checking with the feeler gauge?
If you are referring to the check towards the end of the video, that was for the clearance between the end of the camshaft and the cylinder head with the camshaft end washer installed. It should be within spec. If not, I think there are 2-3 different thickness sizes that Honda should have so that you are within spec.

Not shown in video:
After receiving the cylinders back from the machine shop, I did a piston ring end gap check with feeler gauges to make sure it was overbored to spec. Since they dragged their feet a lot and never gave me a printout of their measurements from their computerized machine, this was the only way I could have peace of mind before installing everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts