Honda Twins banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to clean up the wiring and get my taillight hooked up, I can't find what or where this light is on the bike. All the solid green wires are accounted for and there's 1 solid brown wire coming from the harness without a mate.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
The taillight wire is brown.
Stop light is green/yellow.
All solid greens are just grounds.
All blacks are hot, after the key switch.

The diagram you show is a little goofy, try the one in the Honda manual.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea the diagram in the back of my clymer is slightly better; still has the same light unlabeled though. I figure it's a light a cl would have had, but not a cb. I simply bypassed it and now my head and tail lights work :D

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
There should have been no need to bypass that lamp.....It is an "option" used on some export models.... It is a front parking lamp.... That connector is not used (plugged into anything) on US models..........IF your headlight won't work with it unconnected, the headlight on switch part of the hi/lo switch is defective or disconnected.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Indeed, the high beam wire is non-existent from the handle bars, seems the bike was rather poorly rewired in the past; the hi/lo switch was removed and I needed a wire to connect the tail light wire to. I'm starting to lean towards a cafe rebuild this summer, so much of this bike needs to be rebuilt either way. My only problem with a cafe style bikes is the seats look so uncomfortable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Under the Headlight Control Switch- the Yellow and White Striped wire that comes from 'DY'.....My harness doesn't have a mate for this, is this for export bikes as well? Seems to go into the alternator...

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
If you follow the schematic, you'll see that connects to the white wire (yellow tag) coming from the alternator.... That is the "extra" charging when the lights are on..... I just make the connection permanent down by the alternator plug.......

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Permanent (hardwired) connection......

Down (near the engine /at lower left side of bike) by (near) the alternator (wires) plug (connection/connector).....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm still getting my feet wet with wiring so it's all a bit new. My terminology is lacking too. So do I want it permanent to power or to a ground or neither?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Neutral switch..?

I'm doing a cafe build without gauges... There seems to be a small relay/switch-ish part (ground wire and sea foam/red coming out of it) that traces back to the alternator. Thinking it's the neutral light switch (?). Can I remove this even though it runs through the connector that comes from the alternator? Ideas?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Yes the green/red at the stator connector goes the the nutral switch. If it were me I would find a nice little indicator light to mount up on top triple clamp somewhere.

Also depending on which year model you have, you may need that circuit to get the bike running as that switch acts as a safety on the later models.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes the green/red at the stator connector goes the the nutral switch. If it were me I would find a nice little indicator light to mount up on top triple clamp somewhere.

Also depending on which year model you have, you may need that circuit to get the bike running as that switch acts as a safety on the later models.
Thanks Frogman... My frame plate says "4 / 75" for production date and also says "1976 Model". It's a CB360E.
Another question... Should I be reading 12v off that switch (with everything turned on) when I put the bike in neutral? I've got no juice when I touch the multimeter to it, battery is fully charged.
Bike was running fine before I pulled the gauges, but haven't gotten to the point where I can fire it up since then.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
CB360E is the engine number (E=Engine).

My 1976 was also manufactured in 1975. Much Like Cars, the Bikes are manufactured before the model year. Mine is a pretty late model (By Serial Number), I wouldn't be surprised if the 1976 CB360 was never actually manufactured in 1976.

From Frame Plate:

Auto part

The engine number rarely, if everm matches the frame number. Honda did not match numbers in manufacturing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
CB360E is the engine number (E=Engine).

My 1976 was also manufactured in 1975. Much Like Cars, the Bikes are manufactured before the model year. Mine is a pretty late model (By Serial Number), I wouldn't be surprised if the 1976 CB360 was never actually manufactured in 1976.

From Frame Plate:

View attachment 44480

The engine number rarely, if everm matches the frame number. Honda did not match numbers in manufacturing.
Nice! Twin twins!! ;)
And yes... I noticed that many of the frame/engine numbers don't match up... Probably had to do with line production and how fast they had to put these bikes out during the 70's(?).
My frame and engine are roughly 30 numbers apart.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
NO....The green/red wire provides the ground for the neutral lamp..... You feed power into the other neutral lamp (black) wire.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts