Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my new old 360 has the 'routine' cracked top triple clamp. Both sides are cracked. Bike has been in a fender bender and has been disassembled before, so somewhere along the line, it happened.

I've done some searching, and it seems like the later CM/CB400 models (say, 80, 81, 82) use the same or interchangeable upper triple clamps. Can someone confirm this?

Has anyone had any luck welding the broken pieces back together?

And, how do I prevent it from happening on my new one (assuming I get one)? Seems like the correct sequence is:

1. Tighten lower triple clamp pinch bolts.
2. Tighten large nut securing upper triple clamp to steering stem.
3. Spacer washer to ensure cannot 'over pinch' upper bolts.
4. Tighten (and not OVER-tighten) the upper triple clamp pinch bolts.

Again, can someone confirm this?

Thanks.

Kirk
 

·
Sensei
Joined
·
27,183 Posts
Kirk, the clamps you listed should fit and work, although I'm not 100% sure the meter mounts are identical..... There is however no "factory" spacer washer used on 360's , you just have to be careful and torque to specs......Tightening order seems correct....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the feedback.

I did a quick ebay search, and you can see how some of 'em are just the stamped steel plate that doesn't clamp to the fork legs. Clearly not the right version. But, the others look identical, right down to the gage mounts, as least from a visual.

And not expensive, either. In fact, there were at least half a dozen to choose. I'll be getting one in a month or so, so I'll be able to confirm for sure.

Kirk
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
584 Posts
I used a CM400 triple on my 360. Worked just great. They were identical.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the CB200 project was my mom's bike, and I really fixed it up nice and gave it back to her. She hasn't really ridden it, and probably never will, but I could tell she was just vaguely unhappy that it wasn't in her garage. Kind of an "I'll never ride it again, but I like to have it here in the garage where I can look at it" kind of mentality.

As for the project bike that 'your' CB200 tank is going onto, it's still percolating on the back burner! It started life as an XL100 and is being modded into a miniature cafe racer. Miniature in terms of engine displacement and physical size.

Next steps are to finish repositioning the rear shock upper mounts to get rid of the stock "lay-down" appearance for a more vintage-looking upright mount.

Then, finish up the headwork on the motor and do final assembly and fit-ups.

It keeps getting pushed down on the priority list as other projects come (and go). sigh.

Kirk
 

·
Sensei
Joined
·
27,183 Posts
While you DO have to abide by the torque specs, order (sequence) of assembly and tightening of the components/ is just as critical........
Stem into neck (free motion, NO play)...... tubes into lower tree pinches (13 to 18 ft/lbs).... top bridge to stem nut (50 to 65 ft/lbs)... then top pinches......(13 to 17 ft/lbs)... (I use a torque wrench and set at 15)... Then fender, then wheel assembly... (on axle caps, Short side to rear, tighten front stud nuts to about 20, then the rear pinch ones 19 to 24ft/lbs.. )
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I thought I'd follow up on this phase of the project.

I picked up a complete triple clamp set up from a 1980 Honda CM400 off ebay. I got the upper clamp, the lower clamp with steering stem, the bar mounts and the upper bearing seat and setting nuts.

I only used the upper clamp, but the lower clamp was nearly identical as well. The only difference on the lower clamp was that the 400 did not include an integral nut on the steering lock for the brake hose-switch junction block mount that the 360 has. The 360's steering lock boss includes this mount while the 400's doesn't.

The steering stems were similar, too, although the 400's was about 3mm longer than the 360's. This is because the 400's upper clamp is 3mm thicker at the fit with the steering stem than the 360's.

So, it just meant that the 360's stem protruded 3mm less than it did. Still, there was plenty of thread, IMO, to safely secure the upper clamp to the steering stem.

Otherwise, the instrument mount bosses were properly located and spaced, but on the 400, the bosses were threaded, and on the 360 they weren't because the 360 instrument mounting bracket includes integral mounting studs that include extra length for the 360's rubber-mounted headlight bracket rubber grommets. So, I just drilled out the 400's threads and was good to go.

I'm very pleased, and I got it all back together withOUT cracking the new clamps, thanks to the assembly sequence and torque values given above.

And, the complete setup from the 400 cost me $20 plus $10 shipping from ebay, and even then, there were several to choose from.

So, there ya go.

Thanks to all,

Kirk



 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top