Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1974 CB360 didn't have any spark so I went to test the coils. I tested the first coil and I got 4.8 ohms which seemed fine. When I checked the secondary coil I got nothing. I turned the multimeter to 20k and put positive on the black and white wire and negative on the spark plug cap.

I went on ebay and ordered a pair of used CB360 coils. They arrived today and I tested them. About the same result on the first coil, and I got no reading on the second again! I pulled off the spark plug cap and and tested it from right inside the wire and got 9.6k. I then tested the original coils with the plug caps off and got 9.6k as well.

I'm pretty confused and also pretty unfimilar with how the coils work. Did I order broken coils, or are my original coils fine and they're supposed be like this?

Any help is appreciated. And btw I tested the continuity between each side of the spark plug caps and got nothing all around which seems very odd to me.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Remove the coil from the bike. Ground the coil to the battery. Remove and ground the plug to the battery.Connect the lead to the plug. Take wire and connect it to the plus side of the coil. Touch the wire from the plus side of the coil to the plus side of the battery. If the coil is ok you will get a spark at the plug. Widen the plug gap about .010 and test again if you get a spark the coil should be good at higher rpm.

Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts