Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, new to the board. I bought this 1975 Honda CB360T about a week ago, and plan to repair/restore as needed. Right now, I really need a working clutch. I'll explain what I've done so you can properly punish me for my ignorance.

Bike runs fine, but the clutch lever was broken. It would often die if not helped when idling in gear. The cable sloths its way back into place when I release it. And finally, I couldn't shift to neutral unless I was stopped (you know, when it dies).

So I got the manual, ordered a new lever and cable, and here begins the journey with my first motorcycle.

I read and re-read the steps and diagrams outlined in the book, and am excited to start taking things apart. Reality sets in:

CB360_Left_Rear_Crankcase_Open.jpg

I compare it to this:

CB360_Manual_Left_Crankcase_Diagram.jpg
Page 45 from Honda Service Manual for CB250, CB360, CL360, CJ250T/CJ360T, 1976

So, my initial reactions:

1) What all do I need to replace here?
2) Where can I get such a part?
3) Should there be that much grease everwhere? (i.e. what all can I clean up here?)
4) This wire sure is falling apart (Stator wire?): http://s7.postimg.org/yzht5l51n/CB360_Gross_Cable.jpg

I think I need a new clutch lever (item 7 in the above diagram). But that sure is a tough search term. And of course they're listed, but not available for purchase on the OEM sites (BikeBandit, Dealer Cost Parts, Honda Parts Direct, etc.).

You know, I haven't actually scraped apart and untangled the cable in that first photo. I may do that and see what's left of the lever.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Please feel free to suggest anything I can do while down here that will be beneficial as well. And I look forward to bringing you more of my problems. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
what am I missing ? looks like you have it all. grimy , to be sure, but all there. clutch cable could be shot, but the clutch lifter (#7) adjustment is tricky , and I bet that's where you're getting tripped up .
also, if the bike sat for long, the clutch plates can be stuck together . fresh oil, and a few warm up/cool down cycles whilst working the clutch lever (hand control) should free it .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right. I think I saw it all wrapped up and thought it was done. But maybe the lever's fine.

Most of this grease is really dirty. Should I wipe it all out and add fresh grease where it should be?

As for that hard wire tucked into the bottom of the crankcase (http://s7.postimg.org/yzht5l51n/CB360_Gross_Cable.jpg), its housing is falling apart and covered in the same crap. How best I take care of this?

·
Super Moderator
5,549 Posts
Get a sizable drip pan and some Spray degreaser and go to town on that sucker. All of that is just years of chain lube and possible clutch actuator grease IF the PO ever greased it. I've loaded things up and taken them to the car wash and done it there as well.

THEN take it apart and see what you need. I get lots of things that are NLA off ebay used. Parts breakers will take things apart toss them into a box and call it MISC and sell it. If they only knew what some of the parts were worth they would take a little more time doing things.

Worst comes to worst you can find an entire used sprocket cover.

I also suggest checking the "BALL" in the middle of the actuator, make sure it is PRESENT and round. They can be found at your local hardware store if need be.

Which clutch cable did you get? Motion Pro? Most times thier cables are slightly SHORT internally. You may need to leave off the adjuster nut at the clutch lever to get it to work correctly. If the original still works, just get a luber tool and lube it and run it.

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
slide out #7 and #9, don't loose ball bearing (no number, looks like a zero in parts pic) If you do, it's 5/16" any cycle shop should have some or you can get one from Honda dealer
Clean everything with solvent - I use diesel fuel, it's cheap and leaves oily film.
Does smell a bit though

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I often use a spray can of brake clean on these areas to clean them up, after taking a putty knife to them.
TOOLS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So, unfortunately it was a busted clutch lever (#7 in above chart).
CB360_ClutchLever.jpg

I'm not 100% sure if thats a ball bearing in there. Couldn't bang it out. Dust seal (#8) looks pretty crappy, not exactly flat.
CB360_ClutchBall.jpg

I'm purchasing this eBay listing - it looks like it has what I need!

In case the eBay listing gets pulled:
ebay.jpg

Almost too good to be true at $10. All other sprocket covers without these parts are going for ~$30.
Here's my backup.

What do y'all think? I'll be back on my bike soon?!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
There's nothing wrong with what you've got.. clean it up. The disassembly will actually help you to understand how it works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The pic is cruddy, but if you look close the lever is missing the seat for the end of the clutch cable.

In the original post's picture you can see how it was - I realized it had been wrapped and sealed together using some metal wire.

Excited to clean it up. Got some engine degreaser, setting up a grease pan.

I'm still very curious (since currently most of this is covered in old grease) about what parts I should re-grease. I'd imagine the ball bearing assembly and the clutch shifter rod - but I can clean up the rest of this junk with degreaser, a brush, and hose it down?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's also a little nipple on the other side of the clutch bearing assembly I saw labeled as a grease port. How best do I use this? I don't wanna just pry it off with some pliers do I? And just shoot a little grease in there?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
the grease nipple is handy when the part is on the bike, but since you have it off , you can pack it from the back. not a bad idea to free the check ball with a fine pick tool, so you can grease it from the outside later on down the road .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used WD-40 because the degreaser laying around was really heavy duty and I was worried it might damage the electrical wires. I may replace this hard wire going to the Stator - or try and rewrap with something, it's housing is really falling apart.

Thanks for all the help! I hope I didn't screw anything up cleaning and scrubbing with WD-40. Sprocket cover in the mail.

·
Super Moderator
5,549 Posts
The wire/cable running under the engine to the front is to the starter. It has an extra covering added as it runs under the engine to help protect it from abrasion. Clean it well and tape or split loom it up that will do the trick.

The STATOR wire loom is the one that runs in the TOP of the first picture.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts