Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These CB360 carbs have 2 throttle cables one to open the butterflies, and one to close them. Is it necessary to run the "close" cable if the return spring in the linkage set is tightly sprung?

I will be mounting my carb set soon and have my link spring set VERY tight, seems redundant to use a 2nd cable. I guess I'll see how it feels on the wrist before I fit that cable anyway...unless someone has sound advice on the contrary...?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm all about putting things the way Honda intended...but seriously, its a fat spring, and another pointless cable to adjust doesnt appeal to me. Its weird cause I'm positive I have it assembled correctly. Can other 360 members please chime in and comment on the tension of their Link Spring....

Question: Is the spring end hooked over top of the cable wheel (where the shape of the wheel cuts away? Or is the spring end hooked through one of the holes in the wheel (like my PO had it set up) which makes the spring loose and useless?

The cms fiche shows I have the cable link wheel correctly placed, but shows nothing of the location of the springs 'hook' end. Heres some pics.

Coincidently..neither the Clymers nor the Honda Service Manual show spring location.

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Try it out. Just have your hand on the kill switch as you ride. Personally i'd use the cable.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Leethal,

I have that same set up on my cb550. If you twist the throttle will it return on it's own? (In my opinion)If it does, the spring is doing all of the work and the return cable is not needed. On the other hand, honda designed it that way for a reason. Just curious why are you looking to run only one cable?

Matt

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had my return cable slip out of its housing, and my spring had worked itself loose. End result was an unintended acceleration while about to turn left across traffic. Luckily I grabbed the clutch and ignored the screaming engine. For me, both systems failed. Moral of the story, I'd keep both of them hooked up :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
My spring is strong enough on my 360 to bring the throttle back without having to push forward. I still have mine attached just incase anything ever happens to the spring...knock on wood.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You should be able to twist the throttle wide open, let go of it and have it return to idle.
That extra cable is a fail safe in case the throttle ever sticks you can force it closed manually.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
My CM400 has the same setup. PO cobbled the "close" cable in to replace a broken "open" cable. :evil: Doesn't really look like it should work but it does.

New cables are here awaiting winter project and will be installed before I get on and ride it. :) That part comes sometime after I make the front brake functional. :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for the input lads. I've got both new throttle cables hanging on the wall beside me, still haven't decided. I guess my main query is where you people have the spring connected to the wheel? My linkage is tightly bound...and yet there seemed no alternative attachment. The PO had a small non stock spring attached to the return side of the wheel to assist fully closed throttle (as well as the return cable).

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Lee.... The picture with the spring hooked over the end of the "wheel" is correct... It does NOT go through any of the holes.... Steve

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
I yanked the return cable off my 550 and never had any problems with throttle sticking open in 80,000+miles.
It was put there because of a California law, not because Honda wanted to spend the extra money (don't remember details)

PJ

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
If return spring is assembled correctly it doesn't need any other spring or return cable.
It was originally fitted because some cop in California thought it would be a good idea after he had accident or something.
With slide carbs, it would be good idea as high vacuum can make slides 'stick' and need heavy return springs
On CV the butterfly controls airflow, the slides can be removed and engine wont rev up.
I don't bother with return cables, (since the 70's) but, my bikes are set up properly

PJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts