Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally an update.

Here is a list of whats been done to get everyone up to speed...

Rebuilt brake caliper, master cylinder and added ss lines
Rebuilt carbs with new jets and O rings (twice)
New points
New condensers
New spark plugs

Gave her the 3000 mile tune up but I can't figure something out...

The little blue beast idles like a champ, rolls strong from idle, but when I get to about 4500 RPM's she stumbles like crazy. I can't figure out what I might be missing.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Re: Yet another 360t cafe project

You say you rebuilt the carbs with new jets? I would suggest putting the original needle back in and testing that at speed. Then if you havent cured the stumble put the original main jet back in. Those keister kits are junk, the o-rings, float needles, and mix screws are fine, but the jets can't be trusted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Leethal, thanks for the reply.

I did not use the needles from the rebuild kit (I've read/heard about the horror stories). The jet kits I special ordered from my local Honda shop was K & L, maybe that is how Keister labels their packaging, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Actually, I just remembered...

The only reason I ordered those kits was I needed two parts (the float set valve and the float bowl gasket) and it was actually cheaper to get the whole kit than just the parts alone. I didn't even use the jets.

I'm still running the stock jets that have been thoroughly cleaned and blown dry.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts

Are you still running stock air filters and exhaust? For whatever reason it may be time to decrease the main jet? Are you positive that you didnt intall the main jet from the K&L kits? Those main jets are oversized for some weird reason. You need to run #68 mains, from memory I believe the K&L mains are #110's.....

It would probably be a good idea to stobe your timing at full advance to rule out ignition as a culprit (seeing as you've recently replaced your ignition components). It should strobe between the 2 lines to the left of the timing mark.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

That's bizarre, it's hard to believe that the mains need to go down to a 68 when stick is 110.

Yes, I'm still running clean stock air filters and exhaust. I checked the leftover parts from the carb rebuild kit, and I'm positive I didn't install the mains.

I checked the point gap and the timing again tonight and it's hitting between the double lines at full advance, however, it seems to "miss" on the the left side during idle, almost like it's not firing on every stroke. Also, there is a spark every few times the points hit.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts

Do yourself a massive favour and get the XS650 coils/copper core leads/0-ohm caps.

·
Registered
272 Posts

Stock is 68 for the main. The secondary is a 110, I believe, and the slow jet is the 35. Definitely verify you've got that setup.

It really sounded earlier like a carb sync would have been beneficial to you, in addition to the cleaning. Did you get that done by any chance ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts

My source says #68 primary and #68 secondary mains..... :?:

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts

leethal said:
Do yourself a massive favour and get the XS650 coils/copper core leads/0-ohm caps.
I wholeheartedly agree. The old coils are just trouble waiting to happen. Nothing like a nice fat spark to shock you when you forget to ground it....I mean run the bike beautifully. :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CB360 Carb Jet Discussion (excerpt from brett_bike Project)

IndieSol said:
Stock is 68 for the main. The secondary is a 110, I believe, and the slow jet is the 35. Definitely verify you've got that setup.

It really sounded earlier like a carb sync would have been beneficial to you, in addition to the cleaning. Did you get that done by any chance ?
That's how mine is set up. I was only able to bench sync the carbs, I was unable to find the correct fitting for the old Morgan carb tune.

I will pull the carbs off again today to recheck everything. Do you think is possible that the fuel level in the float bowls could be off? That was something that I thought about rechecking while I was racking my brain about this.

This crap is driving me nuts, who ever thought that it would be harder to tune a twin that my inline fours?

·
Registered
272 Posts

Well, I believe Leethal is right. My mistake. The factory settings are shown below. So strange that it would be so drastically different from mine. My 360T ('77 CJ model) has the 35,68,110 combo.

If you've got a 110 secondary, as shown in the picture I posted, it's too large. Go get yourself another 68! Wouldn't that be cool if that fixed it? Perhaps someone replaced the carbs with some off an old CJ?

I was just curious on the carb sync thing. I'd definitely verify all the stuff Leethal and others have suggested. On the float levels, it definitely couldn't hurt to verify they're within spec. I don't really know all the things that can happen if they're off, but these carbs must be kept in tip top shape to run properly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
417 Posts

I am about 99% sure that the #68 secondary is a mistake and I think it has shown up in several places including the Honda manual. I believe #110 is correct for all 360's.

·
Registered
272 Posts

drones76 said:
I am about 99% sure that the #68 secondary is a mistake and I think it has shown up in several places including the Honda manual. I believe #110 is correct for all 360's.
Holy Crap, I remember reading about this and thinking, "I need to mark that in my manual"

Great memory! I know there is a thread around here discussing it, but I can't find it.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts

IndieSol said:
drones76 said:

Holy Crap, I remember reading about this and thinking, "I need to mark that in my manual"

Great memory! I know there is a thread around here discussing it, but I can't find it.
This is from Clymers. I believe this is correct.
EDIT: Well not all 360's. :oops:

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts

110 in mine.

Just sayin.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

So I just referred to my Clymers manual and it says it should be...

Pilot jet: 35
Primary jet: 68
Secondary jet: 68

Now, knowing that there have been some mistakes in print (Clymers, etc.), and knowing that I have 110's in my carbs currently, and given the state of stumbling I get at 3/4 throttle (that is about when the secondary jets come into play, correct?), I will try some 68's see what happens.

How is it then that some people get good results with the 110's and I can't control my ride? Could it be the use of pod's? Could it be aftermarket exhaust? Neither of which I use. I'm sure both play a significant role in the final ride of these machines.

By the way, thanks to everyone who is taking the time to answer my questions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I was wrong. I am currently running...

Pilot: 35
Primary: 68
Secondary: 92 (?!?)

I didn't look closely at the numbers on my current setup, I just assumed the PO had it set up stock. I should know better.

So now I think I need to get a 68 secondary jet in there and she should work better. Do we all agree?

New problem. My usual source for these parts (Bike Bandit) does not have 68 secondary jets.

·
Registered
703 Posts

110 is stock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

For the secondary's?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts