Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping for alittle advice. Ok, here's the deal. First, there's nothing wrong with the bike currently, it's running great. But, I figured that I would pull the spark plugs and check them out. When I looked at them they were both equal with a "dry carbon apperance", not wet at all. I would call this "slightly rich". Here's my question. Should I just replace the plugs with new and watch them over this summer? Or should I adjust the pilot screw(turn in a touch on both carbs, I think this will lean up the mixture). I'm leaning towards if it's not broken don't fix it. I just don't want to mess-up the carbs beyond my skill level. Addition information-My wife gifted me this bike this past spring, and the carbs were professional cleaned and synced about 1 ago. Previous owner really didn't ride it too much, but did idle it a lot when showing the bike for the sale this past spring. He was using 87 octane and the air filters were fairly dirty at the time. I have cleaned the air filters well, cleaned the pitcock fuel filter, replaced the fuel lines added inline fuel filters. Running 93 octane now. Your thoughts!

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Don't adjust anything ...YET..... Put in new plugs, warm her up, and run a "chop" test (clutch pulled in at speed, while simultaneously shutting throttle and shutting off via kill switch)....Pull plugs and do a "reading"....Then report back (preferably with pics of the plugs) and we'll go from there.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will do, hope this weekend. Will take pics of both old and new(after test, and at what do I kill her at?)

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
I go for about 4500/5000 in third gear, but high revs in any of the higher gears will suffice (not topped out though)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's pics of the plugs (labled). In the natural light today they really don't seem too bad. IMO the left seems fairly "spot-on" and maybe the right is very slightly rich? OR am I crazy and I'm being over critical(remember it's the mechanically dreaded CB360)? To inform who is looking at this, the bike is running fine, I was just curious about the plugs. Sould I mess with it or leave it alone? Still plan on a "chop test" in the near future.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Those are fine, I'd leave them alone especially since you say it's running fine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MNellis said:
Those are fine, I'd leave them alone especially since you say it's running fine.
Thanks, I first looked at them in the evening and I was wondering if they were slightly rich. But then today around mid-day I pulled them and I was suprised that they looked so much better. I guess the vintage guy did a good job tuning. I won't fix what isn't broken.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts