Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day, just trying to understand/confirm whether proper cam/valve timing can be sighted/confirmed by the dowel pin location at the spark advancer or whether the head cover needs to be taken off to view the sprocket guide line?

Trying to troubleshoot and the manual is somewhat unclear.

TIA!

·
Registered
50 Posts
172 views and nobody has a reply? This site is not what it used to be.

I just split the cases on my 360 to replace all the oil seals in the engine. I already had the head cover off, but if I were you, to be sure I’d pull it.

That way you don’t have to question anything. Not a hard job, and you can make sure things are tidy in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
172 views and nobody has a reply? This site is not what it used to be.

I just split the cases on my 360 to replace all the oil seals in the engine. I already had the head cover off, but if I were you, to be sure I’d pull it.

That way you don’t have to question anything. Not a hard job, and you can make sure things are tidy in the process.

Thanks heaps for the reply. Yeah I've noticed that alot more in this forum the last few months, which is a real shame.
I ended up removing the valve cover and finding a pre recall top cap and snapped cam chain tensioner - yay! Also split the bottom case off to find that the kick start shaft is not the correct one (been having the ratcheting sound).
I've closed it up just to keep dust etc out... just waiting for the mail man - new tensioner set, replacement oem kick start & components, also replacement ac rotor as PO did the awesome job of fitting a 175cc (thanks again old mate... NOT).
While its sitting up on the bench i was going to wrinkle paint the side cases and valve cover and points cover... will also do a starter motor rebuild and starter clutch rebuild.

My timing mark was a little out of alignment when I did first inspect it - maybe a tooth or two.. do you you know if this could affect compression readings?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry I don’t know. I’m not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

My guess is it couldn’t help it any though. My experience is that if something in the manual states it needs to be lined up, it actually needs to be lined up. Close will work, but might not be optimal.

If you’re having low compression maybe look at piston rings, or the pistons themselves? Possibly some scoring in a cylinder as well.

When I took my pistons out I had no intention of replacing the rings. Good thing the gasket/seal kit I ordered came with them though. One of the rings came out in two pieces! I had no indication of any problem whatsoever with the compression.

Hope this helps and I hope you get it sorted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts