Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding a cb360 motor and I have installed new pistons, rings, and cam chain tensioner. But no matter how I put the chain on the sprocket and have the motor at TDC the lines on the cam sprocket are not parallel with the head surface. Please help. I have no idea what has been done to the motor before me but it had ART brand pistons in it

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just went through hours of trying to get them perfect on my cb200. It was extremely tedious and couldn’t line them up. I then read that unless you replace the cam chain, it won’t be perfect because it stretches over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that makes sense. So is it better to have the line below on the carb or exhaust side of the motor. I'm sure as it stretches it will get closer or further out of time? I'm new to the 4 stroke motor, I just want make sure it's right. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Are we talking 100% perfectly parallel? Even with a new cam chain, my cam sprocket lines were a degree or two off parallel. I remember asking 66Sprint about this years ago and he said it is good enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it's 1 or 2 deg off. If you say it's good , I will too. That's the answer I was looking for. Just one more thing. The cam could be 180 deg off, by the service manual picture it looks like the cam lobes on the mag side need to be in the down position. Is that correct. Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes it's 1 or 2 deg off. If you say it's good , I will too. That's the answer I was looking for. Just one more thing. The cam could be 180 deg off, by the service manual picture it looks like the cam lobes on the mag side need to be in the down position. Is that correct. Thanks
Which side it should be tilted to I have no Idea. Im sure it doesn’t matter either way. But do you have a service manual? Not sure if 350 is same as 200 but the camshaft on cb200s have a little knob that should be facing upward.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
It shouldn't matter what side the cam lobes are facing if I recall correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Just checked the HSM, there is nothing specific about cam lobe direction or anything else. Also, this needs to be moved to the 350s/360s forum.

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
There’s more than one way to skin this cat (I know I didn’t do lobe direction when I reinstalled mine, but for the life of me I can’t remember how I made sure it wasn’t 180 out :D ).

That said, frog says left side lobes pointing into the head at LT will get you there: http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/48...129-installing-cam-back-my-cb360-180-out.html
Interesting...I also don't remember what the lobe direction was when I installed mine! (I didn't record video of that part) Maybe I got lucky?

I am trying to imagine what the symptoms would be for installation at 180 degrees out...Would it mean that the piston coming to the top of the compression stroke would be smacking into the valves? Or would it mean that no/little compression is felt (finger over spark plug) when the piston is coming up on that side's TDC because a valve is open?

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
honda cb360 engine trouble

From Crazypj:
180 out wouldn't matter as cam turns half crank speed so it will be 180 'out' every other revolution (overlap)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Aha! Leave it to PJ :D I also didn’t do anything to verify 180 orientation when reinstalling, I figured maybe I just got lucky too, after reading the other thread. I’m glad you found that!

Rat, moral of the story seems to be:

Line up engine at LT
Make sure front of cam chain (towards the front of the bike) is taut, install sprocket with lines as near to parallel with the deck as possible
Spin crank by hand a couple times, re-verify that sprocket lines are level with deck

Out of curiosity, and because I’ll be doing this again in a month, does he need to retract the chain tensioner manually before doing this? Thinking of this operation: http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/48-engine-discussion/4138-cb360-1-cam-tensioner-push-bar-tool.html

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Out of curiosity, and because I’ll be doing this again in a month, does he need to retract the chain tensioner manually before doing this? Thinking of this operation: http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/48-engine-discussion/4138-cb360-1-cam-tensioner-push-bar-tool.html
I am not 100% sure what you are asking, but here are the steps that I took in my build:

1. Install camshaft, camshaft sprocket and cam chain as described above (tensioner and slipper were out)
2. Install cam chain "slipper"
3. Download and read the CB360 Cam Chain Tensioner Honda Service Manual Supplement (8 or so pages?)
a. Inspect existing cam chain tensioner, or replace with the new reproduction ones
b. Use the $1 (or $5 including shipping from McMaster Carr) tool from the above link to "reset" the cam chain arm position per the photos in the Service Manual Supplement
c. Install the cam chain tensioner keeper/damper
d. Loosen the stopper on the tensioner bolt to "spring" the cam chain tensioner to the proper tension, and then tighten the tensioner bolt stopper.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Poorly worded question, but you nailed it. I was never sure when to retract the cam chain arm when rebuilding after having removed the top end, and it was giving me anxiety. I need to start a build thread, I just got the frame back from the sandblaster and got it painted. Thanks kruk!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts